cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog .img and .info location

MalikShahab
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I am doing an upgrade activity for the safe side I want to take a copy of the catalog recovery file (having a size that does not exceed MBs )along with the complete catalog data files(which are always in GBs).

The recovery files path is defined when we schedule catalog backup, but I could not find the catalog .info and .img files on my appliance.

IN my test environment, these .info and .img files reside in the root, while the recovery files lie in the home directory the screenshot attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @MalikShahab 

What is the storage defined for your catalog backup? That is where the backup .img & .info files will live.

If the storage unit defined for the catalog backup is MSDP, then you wont be able to just grab those files. If this is the case you can duplicate the latest catalog backup to basic or advanced disk and get the files that way. ALso if this is the case, I would suggest you modify the catalog backup so that you always have a copy in an easy to access format (such as basic or advanced disk pool). If your master server crashes and you need to recover the catalog, then you don't want to also have to worry about how to extract data from an MSDP pool (it's doable, but not a simple process). By all means duplicate the backup to MSDP, but write a copy to basic or advanced disk (even if only for 1 week or less). 

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @MalikShahab 

What is the storage defined for your catalog backup? That is where the backup .img & .info files will live.

If the storage unit defined for the catalog backup is MSDP, then you wont be able to just grab those files. If this is the case you can duplicate the latest catalog backup to basic or advanced disk and get the files that way. ALso if this is the case, I would suggest you modify the catalog backup so that you always have a copy in an easy to access format (such as basic or advanced disk pool). If your master server crashes and you need to recover the catalog, then you don't want to also have to worry about how to extract data from an MSDP pool (it's doable, but not a simple process). By all means duplicate the backup to MSDP, but write a copy to basic or advanced disk (even if only for 1 week or less). 

Cheers
David

MalikShahab
Level 3

Thank you so much sir for your response......

1. Is it recommended to define MSDP for catalog backup?
  2. What if our master server crashes and we need to recover the catalog, what will be the process of recovery? (In case of MSDP)
  3. Should we modify the catalog backup and configure it with Basic or Advance Disk Pool instead of MSDP?
  4. Will it impact the current environment/functionality if we are changing the methodology for catalog backup from MSDP to Basic/Advance Disk

Hi @MalikShahab 

Here's my response to your questions:

1. By all means use MSDP for a copy, although I always make sure I have a copy available that can be used without having the make MSDP operational
  2. There are many documents detailing the recovery process (primarily the troubleshooting guide). Firstly, you require the DR package and catalog backup information (saved as part of the catalog backup and possibly emailed) - this provides the location of the latest catalog backups. Then you require access to the catalog backup itself. If this is only on MSDP, then you have to recover the MSDP server to extract the backup (doable, but in a disaster situation, you want to be able to recover quickly). 
  3. I would suggest you keep at least one copy on basic/advanced disk - see above (it only needs to remain on this storage for short time if space is tight - adjust the retention to allow at least one full backup cycle).
  4. Changing the methodology to use basic/advanced disk will only improve your recovery time. The only other impact would be the amount of space required to store the backups on basic/advanced disk. 

David

Thank @davidmoline 

Actually, we have allocated all disk space to MSDP, so in case of any disaster how would I get back my data because I will have only recovery files, not catalog data files.

Hi @MalikShahab 

You have two choices.

1. Learn how to reconfigure and attach the MSDP to you newly rebuilt master to allow you to recover the catalog (complex but doable).
  2. Create an advanced disk storage unit to store the catalog backup. Depending on the size of your catalog backup, this may not need to take much space as you can duplicate the backup to MSDP after the initial backup (via SLP). Recovering will be much more simple. The advanced disk pool doesn't need to be on the existing meida server (and could be on the master) 

Cheers
David