cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check the part number of a failed drive remotely

brice1
Level 4

hello ,

i would like to nkow who to find a part number of a failed drive remotely to make order for replacement 

for example 

Part number: 8770315237 - HDD 1TB SAS – 5240

2 REPLIES 2

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Brice1,

I haven't seen a way to get the part number of an appliance drive.  The closest I can get is getting the drive serial number and firmware version.  This is via the Appliance Web Interface.  Go to Monitor->Hardware, and then click on Disk (either the one for the head unit, or external storage trays).  This will list the drives, including serial number and firmware version.

I would think that if you gave them the serial number and firmware versionf or the problem drive, they should be able to match up the replacement correctly.

Do you not have Call Home enabled on your appliance?  I thought this was a requirement of the appliance support contract.  I find this a godsend, as I've had occassions where Veritas has called me to tell me a drive has failed and they are dispatching an engineer with a replacement - before I've had time to notice Smiley Very Happy

Then again, you may be in an extrememly secure environment where Call Home is not possible.

Hope this helps,

Steve

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Call Home isn't required for NetBackup Appliances but is highly recommended by Veritas. Regarding Appliance part numbers, from what I know Veritas don't publish these but customers can purchase spare disks if they want via Veritas sales or a partner. However the normal procedure for Appliance hardware failures is for Veritas Technical Support to verify Appliance details and the actual failure and then organise the correct replacement and fitting. For very secure environments I heard Technical Support can talk through a customer performing certain part replacements themselves. BR Andrew