cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client backup to 5220 for file servers

StarSister
Level 4

Just looking for any other experiences on these types of backup?

I have a physical windows 2003 file server (OS due to be upgraded at some point in the future) which has a 5TB LUN of SAN attached storage. I've had a backup attempt on a number of occasions using the 7.5.0.4 client over the LAN to a local appliance. However, the backup is only nearing a 2.5tb volume backed up after a week and half duration. The backup during the day of this live data hasn't had any performance issues for the users, however, it seems the backup would run for anoth 2 weeks and still not be near completion.

At present this server is not backed up - but its data is copied over to another server nightly and that server is backed up to tape drive during the day.

I have a few questions:

1. If I keep this server as physical the way it is, how might I better complete a full backup of the data??

2. IF in the future I were to move this server onto vmware and have vmdk disk for the data- would the vmware API snapshot method save me time, and be of benefit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A few ways to improve performance...

1. Set up multiple streams from the large data disks so that many slow streams run at the same time - for example

NEW_STREAM

D:\Home\A*

NEW_STREAM

D:\Home\B*

NEW_STREAM

D:\Home\C*

etc. setting the policy to a maximum of six jobs initially so that you can assess performance.

If you current backup runs at 3MB/s then this way all six streams could run a 3 MB/s giving a total throughput of 18 MB/s - reducing your backup window by a factor of 6

2. Use flashbackup-windows to back the drive up as a raw device - this would be pretty fast as it works at block level - but if your 2.5 TB of data is on a 5TB disk you will backup 5TB of data

3. Use Fibre Transport - that way it passes the data directly to the Appiance via the SAN (if you think the network is a bottle neck)

4. Make the server an Enterprise Client SAN Media Server - let it just backup directly to tape

5. Use Accelerator - if possible with client side de-dupe. The first full backup will be slow (so set your multiple streams up first) but after that it should be far quicker

Hope this gives some ideas

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A few ways to improve performance...

1. Set up multiple streams from the large data disks so that many slow streams run at the same time - for example

NEW_STREAM

D:\Home\A*

NEW_STREAM

D:\Home\B*

NEW_STREAM

D:\Home\C*

etc. setting the policy to a maximum of six jobs initially so that you can assess performance.

If you current backup runs at 3MB/s then this way all six streams could run a 3 MB/s giving a total throughput of 18 MB/s - reducing your backup window by a factor of 6

2. Use flashbackup-windows to back the drive up as a raw device - this would be pretty fast as it works at block level - but if your 2.5 TB of data is on a 5TB disk you will backup 5TB of data

3. Use Fibre Transport - that way it passes the data directly to the Appiance via the SAN (if you think the network is a bottle neck)

4. Make the server an Enterprise Client SAN Media Server - let it just backup directly to tape

5. Use Accelerator - if possible with client side de-dupe. The first full backup will be slow (so set your multiple streams up first) but after that it should be far quicker

Hope this gives some ideas