Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring AIR between two NBU domains using NetBackup Appliance 5230

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Support,

Kindly advice me because I'm a bit confused.

I am about to configure AIR between two NetBackup domains, domainA has 1xNBU5230 plus 1x5030 disk shelf, and domainB has 1xNBU5230 plus 1x5030 disk shelf. Also both NetBackup domain will be backing up clients seperately, however customer still wants image-data replicated to the target or secondary domain.

My question is how can I then configure AIR btw these domains, since each NBU domain is backing up clients data to the MSDP pool which is suppose to be used for AIR configuration.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are correct, Felix.  What you're referring to is cross-replication, where you backup images in both sites and then replicate them to each other. 

As GHamilton points out, you need to make sure you're sized on both sides for the amount of data you're going to be storing.  I have also run into situations where customers didn't size properly for that and it creates some sticky situations where they have to make hard choices between retention and replication until they can get more disk space.

I will point out that it is not REQUIRED to use a trusted master setup.  It makes things more flexible, but you can do this between versions of NBU that do not support trusted master settings, for example.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GHamilton
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Felix - To setup AIR you will first need to configure trusted master server access. See the below how to doc from the support website. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO94328

Than you will need to configure the replication targets in the storage server properties. At this time you will need to know the password used at the time of the installation. If you are using an appliance this can be determined from the CLISH in the showdedupe password command.

A this point you will need to create storage life cycle policies. The first step is a backup operation to a local MSDP and the second operation is replication to a trusted target (secondary master server). Depending on the NBU version you may or may not need to create an import SLP on the target master server with the exact same SLP name. I believe anything above 7.5 will automatically create the import SLP for you.

This all assumes you have all the needed prequistes; licensing, firewall rules, WAN connectivity, MSDP's etc.

Hope this helps!

GHamilton
Level 3

May have misread this the first time... Need an afternoon coffee.

You are using an appliance (makes things easier). The MSDP you are using for backups can also be used to import images from a trusted master server. These operations can occur at the same time. Having said that be careful about capacity planning. I have often seen customers run out of storage when they did not properly plan for local backups and replicated backups in a single disk pool.

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi GHamilton,

Thank you for your response. I think you have answer my question through your last statement partially.

"I have often seen customers run out of storage when they did not properly plan for local backups and replicated backups in a single disk pool"

Which mean on both NBU domains A and B, I can still schedule and run local backups and still replicates the image data between domain A and domain B. However, there must be proper capacity planning to avoid runing out of storage.

Please confirm if what I've said is correct, and if that what you meant in your statement quoted above.

Thank you once again,

Felix

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are correct, Felix.  What you're referring to is cross-replication, where you backup images in both sites and then replicate them to each other. 

As GHamilton points out, you need to make sure you're sized on both sides for the amount of data you're going to be storing.  I have also run into situations where customers didn't size properly for that and it creates some sticky situations where they have to make hard choices between retention and replication until they can get more disk space.

I will point out that it is not REQUIRED to use a trusted master setup.  It makes things more flexible, but you can do this between versions of NBU that do not support trusted master settings, for example.

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi chashock,

Thank you for the confirmation. I now understand better.

Great work guys!

cheers!

Felix

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You need to be careful how you do this one for a couple of reasons.

AIR replication will occurr directly from appliance to appliance so ensure they can resolve each other - using hosts file is required.

I also note that you have 5030's at each site as well as 5230's .. well a 5030 is PureDisk and a 5230 is MSDP.

You can replicate MSDP to MSDP and to PureDisk but you cannot replicate PureDisk to MSDP.

That being the case you need to just specifiy the replication targets in the storage servers properties to be the matching machine in the opposite data center.

So:

5230 in site A always replicates to 5230 in siteB

5030 in site A always repliactes to 5030 in site B

and vice-versa .. other wise it will all fail!

Good luck

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your vital contribution, it is well noted.

Regards,

Felix