cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copilot and Dataguard

jrmckins
Level 2

We're running Oracle 11g configured as a two-node RAC in prod and are using Dataguard to replicate to a remote site. We have two 5240's (with copilot) replicating between these two sites as well. We'd like to be able to backup the stanby database (to offload the backups from prod) and have the 5240 in the remote site replicate back to the 5240 in the prod site for recovery purposes. I'm being told that the copilot feature doesn't support this. I know it works but I can't find anywhere that says if it's supported (or not). Does anyone have a link that spells this out for me? 

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

What are you referring to, the use of dataguard with copilot, or the subsequent replication of the images?

We want to backup the standby database (created with data guard) to the appliance in our disaster recovery datacenter and be able to recover to the production database from the appliance in the production datacenter.   

RiaanBadenhorst

Lets take it one step back. What is the point of backing up the standby? Always wondered about that especially now that you've got two appliances that can replicate the primary's backup between sites. 

It's a fairly common use case to offload backups to a standby server to take the load off of prod systems. 

I just need to know if it's supported. I can't find it documented either way. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Suppose from a load point of view its valid. I can't find any reference to data guard and netbackup. I'm sure if there was a technote about it we would have found it, but I'd raise a case to check it anyways. Just open one and say your Oracle backups of your dataguard instances are not working and see if it gets flagged or not.