cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

De-Duplication

travelclick
Level 2

Hi,

We migrated from a Netbackup Server on a Redhat host machine to Netbackup 5220 Appliance. The idea was to have deduplication.

Now, From what i understand in order to have a client side deduplication i need a pure disk client on the client side. Currently I dont want to do that.

I want to achieve server side deduplication.  I can see that I have the staging configured as PureDisk , As i also need to have a tape backup i created SLP;s where the data is first stored on staging and then duplication happens to tapes.

Here are my queries.

1. Being an Appliance ,and  having a puredisk , is it that deduplication happens automatically? If not do i need to configure something specific for that.

2. How do i differ actually backed up data size and deduplicated data size.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Being an Appliance ,and  having a puredisk , is it that deduplication happens automatically? If not do i need to configure something specific for that.

You need to install a NBU client on the Source server, once this is done go to Host Properties > Master Server > Client Attributes add the client and select from the dropdown Prefer client dedupe. the defualt is to use the media server. This is not done automatically.

There are a couple of ways to do this.. one is Opscenter it can generate a report to show some of this info. the easiest way is in the Detailed status of the job it will show when completed the total data moved and the deduplicated amount.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You need to install a NBU client on the Source server, once this is done go to Host Properties > Master Server > Client Attributes add the client and select from the dropdown Prefer client dedupe. the defualt is to use the media server. This is not done automatically.

There are a couple of ways to do this.. one is Opscenter it can generate a report to show some of this info. the easiest way is in the Detailed status of the job it will show when completed the total data moved and the deduplicated amount.

Hope this helps.