cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in SQL Database backup speed

PD001
Level 5

*** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/duplication-tape-slow ***

Thanks for all the replies, 

have another question, maybe you could help me on. 

I ran a backup job on a SQL Database yesterday with no other jobs running and had a KB/Sec of 100,000, today with 40 other Backups/Replication/Duplication jobs running, the same job has a KB/SEc of 10,000. Is there a log I can look at to see what might be causing the difference in speed between today and yesterday?

Pat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

D_Flood
Level 6

What's the connection to the machines?  Wired LAN? Fibre?

No matter what method you connect your Appliance to the rest of the Data Center you're going to get lower throughput when multiple backups are running because that connection is shared between the active backups.

There are two ways to reduce the impact:

1) Use LAN port bonding to increase the pipe between the Appliance and your backbone routers (won't improve things much if you go to a boundary router that doesn't have a fat pipe to the backbone).

2) Use faster connection methods like Fibre and 10 Gig copper...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

D_Flood
Level 6

What's the connection to the machines?  Wired LAN? Fibre?

No matter what method you connect your Appliance to the rest of the Data Center you're going to get lower throughput when multiple backups are running because that connection is shared between the active backups.

There are two ways to reduce the impact:

1) Use LAN port bonding to increase the pipe between the Appliance and your backbone routers (won't improve things much if you go to a boundary router that doesn't have a fat pipe to the backbone).

2) Use faster connection methods like Fibre and 10 Gig copper...

PD001
Level 5

We are on Fibre

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The difference in speed is due to the other jobs using up bandwidth. What is the network card config in your appliance? 1gbps  or 10gbps? Have you configured link aggregation?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

By fibre do you mean 10g or do you mean it is a San Client using fibre transport to do the backup?

As Riaan points out things get slower when you share connections .. how fast were the other 39 backups going?

PD001
Level 5

we are running 10GB FC

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

and how how fast were the other backups going? .. .you aren't giving us much to work on here.....

PD001
Level 5

Working with Symantec with this running IOStat on my 5220 and I'm getting 99% util on my disk, so thinking I'm just overloading the box.