Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Pool / Volume Question.

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Folks,

What are the minimum/necessary/possible  conditions for disk pool, disk volume and storage server down issue.

Like tape drive get down if its not able to mount media 2 times in 12 hrs.

I want to have this info as a start up steps for troubleshooting steps for these pool,volume and storage server down issues.

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The quick answer is one minute ... but obviously there is a little mor eto it than that!

Any communications issue between the Master and Storage Servers can cause any component to go down.

This tech note outlines the basics of the process and touch files that can change the behavoir - though in my experience I only use the DPS_PROXYDEFAULTRECVTMO file and then only with a value of 800 in it (so I would not personally follow the advice in the tech note) - but it does explain how NetBackup evaluates it all:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156490

Hope this helps

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Can u advise me which logs to look at when the storage server goes down (Consider only pure disk appliances) and how to analyse that problem?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Use vxlogview to check EMM log (OID 111) on the master server. 

nbemm expects to receive a heartbeat update every 5 minutes from media servers.
You will see heartbeat info in the emm log.

If no heartbeat is received, you need to check if appliances are up and running, and that all NBU processes are running.
If appliances are fine, there may be a network problem between the Master and appliances. Involve your network team in troubleshooting.

The 5-minute timeout can be extended, but this is not advisable. Rather fix the network issue.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The best place i have found to get the information of what is going on is the All Log Entries report - that always seem to give better information on these things to identify possible issues before they even cause you a problem.

This shows disk pools going up and down in the back ground as well as any clients having problems with client side de-dupe.

The equivalent command line being bperror -U -all (you can also add start / end dates)