Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating Images from one Appliance to another

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

Need to decommission an Appliance and need to get all images it holding transferred to another Appliance. Due to shortage of time I cannot wait till the images expire on another appliance as the retention is set to 2 months.

I am wondering how the duplication between appliances happen...

Will it undedupe then transfer and the it would dedupe again ... OR

it will intelligently manage it by sending the hashes and fingerprints ....

Anyone has any idea??

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4

DFischer
Level 3
Employee Accredited

For all data on the MSDP, the duplication activity will use optimized duplication, or opt-dupe, so only the unique data blocks will be transferred between the two pools.  If the target pool is empty, then all blocks will be transferred, but again it will be optimized and not sent redundantly for each backup that references a specific dedupe segment.  Does that make sense?

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

In that case I should expect a faster duplication ... though in my case it is going on prety slowly. Over 30 hours and only 3TB data(actual) duplicated. Are there any parameters I can tune?

deduplikador
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

So many variables to consider here...

- 30 hours of 3TB of data...is this the first backup image(s) duplicated?

As @DFischer stated, if the target MSDP disk pool has never seen this data before, it's a full transfer. As more backup images of the same client(s) duplicate, dedup rates will get better as will performance. However, this assumes the source data had good dedup rates at backup time. Meaning if the backup deduplication rates were poor, then cooresponding optimized duplication dedup rates will be similar.

What is the network pipe between source/target?

Are there concurrent backups happening alongside your optimized duplication 'reads' on the source side? Are there concurrent backups running on the target side alongside optimized duplication 'writes' ? Are you doing duplications of dedup data to tape at the same time?

- If yes to any of the above, try segregating jobs....prevent duplications from concurrently running with backups.

- try lowering deduplication storage unit Maximum concurrent jobs to give each concurrent job more resources and hence faster performance.

You may need to open a support case.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

I understand that target has never seen the data before... But still over a 2X10Gb network I am expecting atleast 1GBps transfer speed.

I am running multiple duplication jobs. 4 as of now. There are no backups happening on either of appliances..