Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication from Advance disk to MSDP disk take to long to complete

tarmizi
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi all,

For a start, we are having Netbackup Appliance 5230 with 2.6.1.2 with 28TB (4.9TB Advanced disk and the rest is MSDP) and we are going to perform version upgrade soon.

The issue here is we are having 2 Oracle RMAN backup (there are 2 Oracle clients) on Advanced disk which is controlled by SLP. The SLP configuration is as shown below:

SLP Configuration

Backup Copy 1 : Advanced Disk Storage Unit . Property set to : Expire After Duplication

Backup Copy 2 : Deduplication Storage Unit

Duplication Copy 3 : Tape(media) Storage unit

At first (8-9 months ago), the duplication from Advanced Disk to MSDP disk took 1 hour and 2 hours maximum. But now, 90% of the process took more than 24 hours and sometime such as today, the Advanced disk got full and the backup failed. I can see in some of the detail status of the job, it mentioned:

awaiting resource stu_disk_mssba572 - Maximum job count has been reached for the storage unit

May I know, is it due to the MSDP have reached its maximum job therefor it delaying the duplication job? Because I can see this not only affect on the duplication of Advance disk-MSDP but as well as the backup job and tape duplication. Is there anything or anywhere that I can change the value of the Maximum job on the MSDP disk? And if there is a way, what is the impact on the whole process of the backup/restore/duplicate/replicate?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

hi,

First of all, why are you backing up to ADV disk and duplicating to MSDP? You can just put it on MSDP directly.

To answer your question, the storage unit you're targeting has X number of concurrent connections you can use at anyone time (its configured on the storage unit properties) and your probably trying to do the duplication at times where backups are running. So the backups are using up all the connections and the duplication has to wait.

Because it has to wait your ADV disk cant expire the images as they've not been duplicated. If you send everything to MSDP from the start there will be no issue.