cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notification coming from my 5220

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

I have an odd issue, and I cannot figure out where a certain email notification is coming from.

I have a 5220 appliance, and a Master Server running on Windows Server 2008. Email notifications are set up and working from the master server just fine. which means I am getting double notifications on However, for a couple of hosts, I am recieving backup status messages from the appliance. The return address is "root@linux.local", and the email header information clearly shows that the appliance sent the message.

I have gone through all of the email settings I can find on the appliance, namely on the management page (Settings -> Configuration -> smtp server) and the console (Settings -> Alerts -> Email)

I suspect this may have something to do with the fact that when I first set up this appliance, it was both my media AND master server. These hosts were two of the first machines I included in my backups. I have since built the master server, and had re-configured the appliance to be a media server only.

How do I reconfigure or stop these messages?

thnkx

12 REPLIES 12

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There are two types of mail notification on the appliances - Hardware and Software

If the Software notifcation is enabled it will send alerts from NetBackup

I am guessing you have both enabled?

It does look an odd mail address though - double check in the CLISH via Settings - Email SenderID Show to make sure it is the appliance doing this and that you dont have a Unix OpsCenter doing it (though i appreciate you have said the header says it is from the appliance)

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

I double checked in the CLISH, and the correct return address is there.. My Ops Center is on Windows, but just to be thorough, I made sure it was not in there as well.

Where else in the appliance would email notifications be set up?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Any of the notify scripts in netbackup/bin otherwise maybe in crontab or one of the built in scripts (scripts folder somewhere)

Wes_T__Gator
Level 5
Check the client properties (under Universal Settings) for those two clients and see if they are set to send email. They may be set to send email via the master server.

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

PROBLEM WAS NOT SOLVED!! This was not the solution. I have reviewed and cleared all of the settings on the clients and Master Server. The messages are clearly coming from the Media Server.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nice of you to finally get back to us!!!

Please check Host Properties -> Universal Settings for the master server as well as the media server.

Have a look at this NBU TechNote about email notification:

Email Notifications Settings and Their Behaviors
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64984

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Could you show us the full message so that we can see what you receive

PaulLaVigne
Level 4
I checked all the client properties, and they are all set the same. they are set to "Server Sends email" and I do not see "root@linux.local" listed anywhere.

Here is an example message. The IP address (10.100.200.105) is my Media Server, aka the 5220 appliance.

Return-path: <root@linux.local>
Received: from linux.local ([10.100.200.105])
by V-MAIL02.FOO.STATE.XY.US with ESMTP; Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:48:56 -0800
Received: by linux.local (Postfix, from userid 0)
id AF70F7342BE; Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:48:56 -0800 (PST)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:48:56 -0800
To: sysadmins@foo.state.xy.us
Subject: Backup on fileserver01 - 1
User-Agent: nail 11.25 7/29/05
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-Id: <20140201034856.AF70F7342BE@linux.local>

Backup on client fileserver01 for user root by server v-netbackup01.foo.state.xy.us was partially successful.

Policy = PROD_FileServers1
Schedule = Differential-Inc

File list
---------
ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
System State:\

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Well one thing is wrong and that is your policy! You dont need ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and System State:\ in the same policy - and if it is Windows 2003 or above then it should be Shadow Copy Components:\ anyway - so a little work for you to do there!

Back to you mail issue ... looking at that message it is interesting that it includes all policy details including the file list etc which you dont usually get using the standard scripts.

I was wondering about the usr/openv/netbackup/bin/session_notify but not sure even that has all of those details.

Have you always been the administrator or could someone have put a customised script on the appliance?

What do you have in your crontab?

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

Shadow copy is turned off here. Long story (it's what we inherited). We'll be fixing that soon.

The crontab doesn't have anything in there. Plus these messages do not come regularly - they only appear if there is an issue with a backup job.

I looked in session_notify, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. It did not seem to have any email config in there.

I ended up opening a ticket, and the guy is absolutely stumped. We thought we had it when he looked at the bp.conf file in /usr/openv. It was still set to client for sending email. He changed it, but it didn't fix the issue.

I'll follow up if he ever figures it out.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you looked at /etc/mail.rc

The message you show uses nail which is mailx which should be configured using mail.rc so maybe there is something in that file

Having said that there must be one of your NetBackup scripts that actually fires it off in the first place (something under /usr/openv/netbackup/bin i would have thought)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Another thread has just been updated on here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/2601-upgrade-keeps-rolling-back

Where they had an issue on one media server appliance where the host name was not quite right and was taking the yast default .. linux .. sounds familar .. looks like that could be where your linux.local is coming from too.

That being the case you just need to pin down which notify script is actually activly sending out the mail and you may need to correct the yast host name of the appliance