cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimating time to upgrade appliances to 7.6.0.2

Beavisrulz
Level 4

Hello,

We have (6) NetBackup 5220 appliances, all running 7.5.0.7 (2.5.4 code). 3 of the appliances have 72TB of stoarge with 60% utilized, and the other 3 have 36TB each. I am looking to upgrade them to 7.6.0.2 soon.

I was wondering if anyone experienced a lengthy process of getting the appliances upgraded to 7.6.0.2. The reason I am asking is that I have read where there is a conversion process on the storage pool that may take an extended amount of time, and I will need to take this into consideration when planning my downtime window for the upgrade.

I came across a utility that you can run that will estimate how long the conversion process may take. You can find it in the following tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH213728

I ran the utility on each of my 72TB appliances and it came back with an estimate of 9 hours just to do the conversion process on the storage pool! Is this normal and I should just expect this and plan accordingly? If so, is there anything I can do to cut that time down, because with that process and everything else that goes with the upgrade, I could be looking at a downtime window of 10-11 hours easy.

Doesn't that sound a little crazy? How am I supposed to keep the appliances down and essentially not run any backups or restores during this time, which will more than likely end up being during the day, hoping that I can get them done and available before my nightly backups run. Should I look at spreading them out across multiple days, and if I do, will my master server be able to communicate with each of the appliances if they are on different version levels?

Thank you!

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes it will take about that long of a time. Conversion time plus the the upgrade time. I would upgrade the Master  to 7.6.0.2 first. The appliances will be backwards compatible and this will allow you to upgrade each one to 2.6.0.2 at your convenience. 

Also if your able to eliminate any data off the appliance that you don't need, this will also shorten your time, though that's probably not possible. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes it will take about that long of a time. Conversion time plus the the upgrade time. I would upgrade the Master  to 7.6.0.2 first. The appliances will be backwards compatible and this will allow you to upgrade each one to 2.6.0.2 at your convenience. 

Also if your able to eliminate any data off the appliance that you don't need, this will also shorten your time, though that's probably not possible. 

Beavisrulz
Level 4

OK, well, I guess that is "good news, bad news".  ;)   At least I can work on each appliance individually as time allows and depending on backup jobs that need to run, but I can work with that!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it.

Larry