cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eth0 reserved interface, Why and How can I free it up?

Carmen_Garc_a
Level 4

Hello everybody:

I want to create a bond with eth0 and eth1. The eth0 appears "Reserved". Why does it appears so? and How can I change?

Thanks in advanced.

Regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Carmen,

Yes, you would still need to reconfigure/unreserve eth0 to put it into a bond.  What steps will depend partially on how yours is currently configured.

I have had a look through the doco for 2.7.3 and the 5230 to see if I can find something official.  Unfortunately, I can't find anything official for bond and eth0.  I did find something for a 50x0 appliance, but that is not what we need.

If you want an official response, then I would say your best bet is to raise a case with Veritas support so they can confirm it for you.

Steve

View solution in original post

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

The reservation is what I'd call a "soft" one.  There may be functions in the future that require the use of that port, thus Engineering has left it "reserved" and it comes with the default 192.168.229.233 address.  It is also considered a best practice to use a dedicated management connnection with the appliances that backup traffic does not traverse.  It is not, however at this time, a requirement.

As Steve has pointed out, it is supported to use eth0, and you can use it in a bond, but you can't configure it in the bond on the initial configuration of the appliance, and you want to do the work from the CLISH.  You would configure eth1 first, then unconfigure eth0, and then add eth0 to the bond.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Carmen,

You don't say what software version or what appliance model you are using - that would have been helpful.

Prior to appliance version 2.6.0.2, reconfiguration of eth0 was unsupported.  As from version 2.6.0.2, this is a supported configuration.  The change must be done using the CLISH, as it is likely you'll have problems if you try from the web management.

I have reconfigured eth0 on my appliances when I was at version 2.6.0.4, and had no issues - although I don't have eth0 in a bond.  I do notice it still shows "reserved" in the web management, but works fine.  I'm in the middle of upgrading to 2.7.3 at the moment, so I'll see if that is still the case when I'm finished Smiley Very Happy

Here is one forum post that discusses using eth0 in a bond:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup-Appliance/Compelling-reason-not-to-include-eth0-in-bond0-on-NB5...

And this link is a Veritas technote detailing best practice regarding reconfiguring eth0:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000017667

So if you are running an appliance version of 2.6.0.2 or later, you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Hello Steve:

First of all, thanks for your helpful reply.

It's about a 5230 appliance with 2.7.3 firmware version (rhel OS).

After your reply, my next main question is:

Is necessary to "unreserved" the interface? and, after read the first link you posted

Does exist an official procedure for to configure a bond with an eth0?

This entrance in Mark Solution's post, "You just need to setup the other (eth1 etc.) network first, then unconfigure eth0, then bond them all - works fine." doesn't appear in the official  guide.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards.

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Carmen,

Yes, you would still need to reconfigure/unreserve eth0 to put it into a bond.  What steps will depend partially on how yours is currently configured.

I have had a look through the doco for 2.7.3 and the 5230 to see if I can find something official.  Unfortunately, I can't find anything official for bond and eth0.  I did find something for a 50x0 appliance, but that is not what we need.

If you want an official response, then I would say your best bet is to raise a case with Veritas support so they can confirm it for you.

Steve

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

The reservation is what I'd call a "soft" one.  There may be functions in the future that require the use of that port, thus Engineering has left it "reserved" and it comes with the default 192.168.229.233 address.  It is also considered a best practice to use a dedicated management connnection with the appliances that backup traffic does not traverse.  It is not, however at this time, a requirement.

As Steve has pointed out, it is supported to use eth0, and you can use it in a bond, but you can't configure it in the bond on the initial configuration of the appliance, and you want to do the work from the CLISH.  You would configure eth1 first, then unconfigure eth0, and then add eth0 to the bond.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances