cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FC on 5020 appliances

donypie
Level 4

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to use FC (fibre channel storage area network) to transfer data from a Media server to a 5020 appliances ?

Thanks

Pierre.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Todd_D__Woodwar
Level 3
Employee

If your NetBackup 5020 came with Fibre Channel cards, and it's running the 1.3 or 1.4 software, you can use Fibre Channel for communication.

From the manual:

The addition of Fibre Channel cards enables optimized duplication of the following:

• Data transmissions from a NetBackup media server appliance to a deduplication appliance storage pool.
  • Data transmissions between two storage pools that consist entirely of deduplication appliances.

Both NetBackup and PureDisk can deduplicate client data and store the data in small, unique segments. In an optimized duplication, NetBackup copies the unique, deduplicated data segments from one host to another. For optimized duplication to be successful, all deduplication appliances need to be equipped with the optional Fibre Channel cards. If optimized duplication over the Fibre Channel connection fails, the system uses TCP/IP communication.

At this time, the NetBackup media server must be an appliance: A NetBackup 5200 or 5220.

If you would like to see Symantec expand Fibre Channel support to non-appliance NetBackup media servers, then please cast your vote and add your comments for this idea:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Todd_D__Woodwar
Level 3
Employee

If your NetBackup 5020 came with Fibre Channel cards, and it's running the 1.3 or 1.4 software, you can use Fibre Channel for communication.

From the manual:

The addition of Fibre Channel cards enables optimized duplication of the following:

• Data transmissions from a NetBackup media server appliance to a deduplication appliance storage pool.
  • Data transmissions between two storage pools that consist entirely of deduplication appliances.

Both NetBackup and PureDisk can deduplicate client data and store the data in small, unique segments. In an optimized duplication, NetBackup copies the unique, deduplicated data segments from one host to another. For optimized duplication to be successful, all deduplication appliances need to be equipped with the optional Fibre Channel cards. If optimized duplication over the Fibre Channel connection fails, the system uses TCP/IP communication.

At this time, the NetBackup media server must be an appliance: A NetBackup 5200 or 5220.

If you would like to see Symantec expand Fibre Channel support to non-appliance NetBackup media servers, then please cast your vote and add your comments for this idea:

donypie
Level 4

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your answer. I've voted and added a comment to your proposition. Have you an idea of an availability date ? 

We haven't yet 10 Gb ethernet, so using 8 Gb FC to transfer data from a media server to 5020 is the best option for me. FC is also more secure than IP, if I use IP, I have to pass thru firewall for non secure Dmz zone, FC has also less overhead than IP.

Thanks.

Pierre.

Todd_D__Woodwar
Level 3
Employee

For enhancement ideas that I and my customers have identified,I have no direct influence over engineering, except to create enhangement requests here  as ideas. This is the official enhancement request process. The more votes and comments an idea gets, the higher the assumed priority and the assumed increased likelyhood an idea would be considered by engineering and put on a roadmap.