cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full/Incremental backup runs slow but fast after reboot

Unkn0wn
Level 3

Hello,

I have a very strange problem over here where one of my servers does something abnormal...

Once I reboot the server and run the backup (full) then I get full speed over 600Mbit/sec meaning it gets done in about 6 hours. However once the backup completes I have an issue on the following day where transfer rate gets to maximum avg of 30 Mbit/sec and backup takes 3 days to complete.

Any kind of ideas is well appreciated.

Netbackup appliance 5220 netbackup 7.5, problematic client runs windows 2003 64 bit. 1GBiT network link auto negotiation.

But like I've mentioned above the backup runs OK upon server reboot and then once it's done then another backup takes ages with avg speed of 30 mbit/sec.

Thanks in advance for your help.

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Which server are you rebooting?

The Appliance or the problematic W2003 client?

W2003 is well-knows for poor network performance with TCP Chimney enabled. 
See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60844 

Unkn0wn
Level 3

The server that gets rebooted is windows 2003 client. Please note that I get full speed upon reboot and 30 mbit on the following day.

Marianne
Level 6

Look at the TN that I have posted above.

You need to troubleshoot on the client and see what else is running when backup is slow.

Unkn0wn
Level 3

So even tough the client runs ok after reboot do I still need to follow the TN ?

Marianne
Level 6

That is what I would do if this was a client in my environment....

It is up to you to decide if you want to follow advice or not.

I have also said the following:

You need to troubleshoot on the client and see what else is running when backup is slow.

Unkn0wn
Level 3

Okay - thank you Marianne, I will have a look to see what else is/isn't running and then will let you know....

Unkn0wn
Level 3

Update:

Yes - I have checked running processes before and after reboot, the only ones that are not running are VSS.exe VDS.exe and DMADMIN.exe, these 3 processes run as windows services as MANUAL. I have also noticed that these 3 services start itself upon backup request and terminate upon success.

Any idea what else can it be ? Thanks...

watsons
Level 6

If you compare both the fast backup (upon reboot) and slow backup (thereafter) job details, what are the differences? 

If possible, show it out here and we can check, there should be some sort of "buffer" messages.

Enable bpbkar verbose=5 on this client as well, and look at the logs after a slow backup.

Note: VSS being run during backup is normal, don't worry about that.