cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full and Incremental VMware backups are basically the same size

elanmbx
Level 6

I've got a 5230 appliance (master/media) in a remote site with mostly VMs being backed up.  I have my VMs configured to be selected by a policy using VIP, and I have Accelerator enabled.  In my VMware policy tab BLIB is enabled (not an option with Accelerator, I think?), I'm using SAN transport with NBD as secondary transport option.

My admin console reports that incremental bacukps are *consistently* about the same size as fulls as well as full-rescans.  I'm wondering... is this considered "normal" behavior for VM backups using Accelerator?  If so... I wonder why?  If I run a client report, the incrementals show far fewer *numbers* of files backed up, but the size is about the same as a full.

ATL-Accelerator-Screenshot1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think the blueprint might be helpful here.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-76-blueprints-accelerator-vmware

"When Accelerator is enabled, the Enable block-level incremental backup parameter setting is automatically selected."

VMware accelerator is also looking at the CBT the same that incrementals are. So it makes sense that your full and incrementals are roughly the same size, the full tracks more files though.

TL;DR Accelerator doing its thing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think the blueprint might be helpful here.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-76-blueprints-accelerator-vmware

"When Accelerator is enabled, the Enable block-level incremental backup parameter setting is automatically selected."

VMware accelerator is also looking at the CBT the same that incrementals are. So it makes sense that your full and incrementals are roughly the same size, the full tracks more files though.

TL;DR Accelerator doing its thing.

elanmbx
Level 6

Does anyone know how I might analyze the Accelerator backups to find out how much incremental backup data my VMs are generating per day?  It seems with this scenario I am going to have trouble tracking down how much incr data is being produced...