cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I check that the datastore LUNs are accessible to VMware Backup Host.

Vickie
Level 6

Greetings to all !!

Environment:
Master Server :
Linux VM : 2.6
NBU Version : 7.6.0.4

Media Server :
NetBackup Appliance 5230
NBU Version : 7.6.0.4
NBU Appliance Version : 2.6.0.4

Transport Mode : SAN

Storage : VNX Block level

Cisco mds switch.

I have few queries, as backup of vm getting failed with 6 error code.

• As using SAN, how can I check that the datastore LUNs are accessible to VMware Backup Host. (Apart from checking zoning, which is perfectly fine)
  • If the previous backup failed, it might have left some disks of the backup VM attached to Backup Host.
    These disks need to be manually removed before attempting the next backup. -- How can I find the left out disk of vm on the backup host?
  • If a new LUN added to storage and zoning done with Backup Host, do we need manual scan at Backup host ?
  • The backup getting completed using NBD mode as ESXi host is accessible at 902 port via backup host.
    But why its being failed using SAN mode, however zoning is perfectly fine?

Your assistance would be really appreciable.

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Most enterprise storage have utilities where lun assigment/masking must be done in addition to zoning. 
Can you double-check with EMC storage admin?

Masking also there, LUN is being added to the Storage Group where NetBackup Appliance is also added.
By which the LUN can be accessible by Appliance.

However, in current case when we create new LUN at storage & DataStore at vCenter end.
Though we add them to the Storage Group along with the Zoning, but still LUN is not accessible
at Appliance end.

For this we have to manually perform the scan, which is then causig NOS alerts & SCSI reset issue at vm.