cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure backups through SAN (VMware) to NBU 5240 Appliance

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello experts,

I have a netbackup 5240 appliance running v3.1. This 5240 appliance acts as Master/Media/Backup Host for VMware.

I am very new to appliances and networking. I want to be able to perform VMware backups over the SAN to the appliance.

Here is what I did so far:

1. I physically connected fiber cables from ports 1 and 2 of slots 5 and 6 on the appliance to 2 SAN switches for redundancy (each slot connects to both switches).
  2. Then, in the Appliance Web Console > Settings > Network > Fiber Transport, I selected "Enable SAN Client Fiber Transport on the Media Server (use FT for backups to this Appliance)" and chose "4 target port Fiber Channel connection". The appliance asked for a reboot so I did.
  3. I zoned the ESX hosts' ports with the appliance's ports on both SAN switches (each zone has 1 ESX port and 2 appliance ports (1 from each slot) ==> 1 initiator and 2 targets).
  4. I then configured a VMware backup policy containing 1 VM and selected only the SAN transport type to test its functionality. However this backup fails (Error - error opening the snapshot disks using given transport mode: san Status 23).

Do I also need to zone the VMware Datastores (LUNs) with the appliance fiber ports on the SAN switches? If yes, does this mean that each zone has 1 LUN and 2 appliance ports (1 from each slot)?

I also read somewhere that I need to run the following commands on the Media Server before zoning:

• diskpart
  • automount disable
  • automount scrub

Are these commands necessary on my appliance which is Master/Media? If yes, how can I run them?

I know I'm missing some configuration, I just don't know what.

I kindly need your help. Thank you very much in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why do you want to use iSCSI?

Do you have a model H Appliance? Please see attached pdf. Only model H comes with iSCSI.

you really only need to zone one or more 8G FC HBAs configured as Initiator.

Please also see this URL for I/O config:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/109268087-125102017-0/v109724358-125102017

Extract:
You can use the Initiator ports for tape-out operations and VMware Datastores 

Herewith short overview of steps:

1. Present the datastore LUNS to the NetBackup media server (Appliance):
    Zone datastores to initiator HBA port(s) on Appliance
    Use Array management utility to map datastores to Appliance
  2. Verify that datastores are visible on Appliance
    Manage > FibreChannel > Scan
    Manage > FibreChannel > Show

PS: The reference to diskpart and automount only applies to Windows media servers.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

me-ver-91
Level 4

Also, on a side note, I checked the fiber ports' status from the Appliance CLI and here is the output:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bus ID  Slot  Port  Port WWN                Status        Physical State   Configuration Type  Speed    Remote Ports

06:00.0 Slot5 1     21:00:00:24:FF:15:F9:70 Disconnected  Target           Target(FTMS)        0 gbit/s ------------

06:00.1 Slot5 2     21:00:00:24:FF:15:F9:71 Disconnected  Target           Target(FTMS)        0 gbit/s ------------

07:00.0 Slot6 1     21:00:00:24:FF:18:3B:D0 Disconnected  Target           Target(FTMS)        0 gbit/s ------------

07:00.1 Slot6 2     21:00:00:24:FF:18:3B:D1 Disconnected  Target           Target(FTMS)        0 gbit/s ------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this behavior normal? Or do I need to manually enable them? What is the command to do so?

Please forgive me for all these questions. I don't anywhere else to go for help.

Have a nice night/day and thank you so much :D

No, this is not correct.  VMware VADP SAN Transport backups do not utilize Fibre Transport Mode.  You need the ports to be in initiator mode.

How familiar are you with NBU Appliances?  I ask for where to direct you.  If you already understand the basic concepts and setup, take a look at the Appliance Fibre Channel Guide.  It explains how to use the appliance for VMware backups.  If you're not, start with the Config Guide and Admin Guide to understand some of the more basic operational aspects.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Marianne
Level 6

Herewith link to all Appliance docs. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000002217

The 3.1 link downloads everything as a single 94MB zip-file .

Link to individual manuals: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/DocumentBrowsing.html?product=Appliances&version=3.1%2...

Hi vtas_chas,

Thank you for your reply.

I know the basic concepts about the appliance. However, I am not familiar with SAN and fiber. I have read some parts of the Appliance Fiber guide but honestly I did not understand what I needed to do (I think it's because it's my first time working with SAN/fiber).

If I choose "2 target port Fibre Channel connection" instead of 4, will that solve my issue?

Do I need to do some other configurations? And what about the automount commands mentioned in my earlier reply?

In the mean time, I will re-read the Appliance Fiber Guide and do some additional research. Will post back if I find anything.

Thanks again!

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for your reply. I already have the 3.1 documents but thanks anyway :D :D

No you need ZERO FTMS ports.  VADP backups do not happen over FTMS target ports, you are connecting to the datastores as an initiator.  Do not touch the automount or disk partitions at the operating system.  You need to read the VMware admin guide as well to get an understanding of how VMware SAN Transport backups work as well.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to do this over a web forum.  There are many concepts here that you are going to need help with including fundamental NBU details, VMware backup details and appliance details.  I'd strongly suggest engaging a Veritas partner or Veritas consulting to help you get this deployed.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

I think I got it. NetBackup for VMware on a 5240 appliance works over iSCSI and not FTMS (In my case the appliance is the backup host). Please tell me if the below is right.

1. The iSCSI port of the appliance should be an initiator port.
  2. I should configure IQN for it.
  3. Configure the iSCSI interface (IP, netmask, ...).
  4. Discover the targets on the network.
  5. Connect to a target/targets (in my case the targets are the LUNs on the VMware datasores).
  6. There 2 ports in slot 2 of the appliance, should both of them be initiators? or 1 initiator and the other target to receive backups?

Thanks in advance :D

And sorry for any inconvenience.

Marianne
Level 6

Why do you want to use iSCSI?

Do you have a model H Appliance? Please see attached pdf. Only model H comes with iSCSI.

you really only need to zone one or more 8G FC HBAs configured as Initiator.

Please also see this URL for I/O config:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/109268087-125102017-0/v109724358-125102017

Extract:
You can use the Initiator ports for tape-out operations and VMware Datastores 

Herewith short overview of steps:

1. Present the datastore LUNS to the NetBackup media server (Appliance):
    Zone datastores to initiator HBA port(s) on Appliance
    Use Array management utility to map datastores to Appliance
  2. Verify that datastores are visible on Appliance
    Manage > FibreChannel > Scan
    Manage > FibreChannel > Show

PS: The reference to diskpart and automount only applies to Windows media servers.