cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move data from 5020 to tape?

avazquez
Level 4

Does anyone know of the best way of how to move the data from an NBU 5020 appliance to tape?  Any documentation will be grately appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That is right .. and if using both 5020's you would have: Backup to 5020 Duplicate to 5020 (this will be optimised de-dupe so only delta changes actually pass over the network) Duplicate to Tape (this will be fully re-hydrated, passed over the network to the Media Server and then written to tape)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Data on a 5020 is "owned" by a media server in effect (I am assuming that this is used as a Storage Server for NetBackup rather than as a standalone PureDisk appliance?)

So you can just run a duplication job on an image to a tape drive attached to the media server - it will pass the data over the network from the appliance to the media server and write it to tape

As the 5020 has no tape out this is the only way to do it

If you want this as a regular thing then just add a duplication step to a SLP and use SLPs for your backups.

Hope this helps

P.S If it is only a PureDisk appliance you need to create a NetBackup Export job to get PureDisk to export out to NetBackup, but it only works for File backups and not applications

avazquez
Level 4

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  The way we are using the 5020 appliance, to hold a our deduped data from NBU and then gets replicated to another 5020.  Is there a benefit from creating a duplication step in the SLP, since the data being backed-up to the 5020 is deduped at the client?  Does this need to be rehydrated, and is this slow?

Our main objective is to send all the disk backups (on the 5020) to tape at the end of every quarter.  What will be the best way of doing this?  Should we just create separate policies, and forget the 5020 data?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Some info regarding the project.

SLP is your'e friend - use it whenever you can get away with it. I would use SLP to perform the replication of data between the 5020 as well. Configured this way Netbackup knows about the secondary copy.

Data does need to be rehydrated and depending on the amount to duplication you start a once may slow. You need to find the sweet spot for your'e installation. The amount of GB/TB play a role as well

I would create a extra quarterly schedule and point that schedules to a SLP that write data to the 5020, replicate it and write the data to tape. Do not use extra policy's.

It does make sense :)

avazquez
Level 4

Thank you  .... I will give this a shot and let you know how it turns out, once it is implemented.

avazquez
Level 4

Nicolai,

OK ... So in the SLP that I am using to backup to the 5020, I should add a new Storage Operation of type Duplication>>Select the tape library under the Storage unit, and finally set the desired retention period.

Is this what you are refering to?

Thanks again!!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
That is right .. and if using both 5020's you would have: Backup to 5020 Duplicate to 5020 (this will be optimised de-dupe so only delta changes actually pass over the network) Duplicate to Tape (this will be fully re-hydrated, passed over the network to the Media Server and then written to tape)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Mark said it smiley

avazquez
Level 4

Awesome guys, thank you so much!!