cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run telnet command on veritas netbackup appliance

LEE6
Level 3

Hi, just to find out Main.Menu> How to run telnet command on veritas netbackup appliance  after going to Main.Menu> Support > Maintenance> Elevate?

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I am using Appliance version 5240, can I run telnet command from this appliance version?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Your appliance "model" might be 5240.  As for your appliance "version", you will have to check.

As previously highlighted, within later / recent "versions" of appliance, "telnet" has been removed.  It's simply not there, so the answer in your case is probaby:  "No, you cannot use telnet."

I have to ask... what kind of site are you working at anyway where they would even consider allowing the use of telnet?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@LEE6 

rather use bptestbpcd. It will request a connection to the client as well as connect-back.
Much better than telnet. 

Bes sure to use -verbose -debug options and ensure that bpcd log folder exists on the client. 

Assuming that you're willing to check the remote port accessibility. Use curl;

curl -v telnet://remote_host_IP:tcp_port

curl -v telnet://172.16.6.51:1556

EthanH
Level 4

Telnet is disabled in a lot of environments, but if you're just wanting to test remote port connectivity, you can use netcat

nc -zv <client name> <port number> will show you if a port is open or not when telnet is disabled.

For Windows, use the Test-NetConnection PowerShell cmdlet.