cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPMI does not work

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, we are helping a customer to configure a NetApp 5230 appliance which is upgraded from 2.5.4 to 2.6.0.3. Previously we did not configure IPMI. After the upgrade, we decide to configure IPMI. However, I followed the guidelines in NetBackup doc but it does not work. I cannot ping the IPMI port no matter what IP address I set.

How to troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are at 2.6.0.3 now then thing are a little different ....

First thing to do is check you switch settings ... the IPMI is a cheap little module that runs best on a slow network connection - try setting the port to fixed 100 first to see if it then works ..

If not then try the following which will do a full hardware setup on it .. you need to go into maintenance mode which is now protected ...

Support - maintenance - P@ssw0rd - /opt/Symantec/scspagent/IPS/sisipsoverride.sh - elevate

nb-appliance:/opt/PDOS/install/ syscfg -rfs
Successfully Completed

Wait 2 minutes

nb-appliance:/opt/PDOS/install/ syscfg -rbmc
Successfully Completed

Wait 2 minutes and then:

/usr/bin/ipmitool lan set 3 ipaddr <ip address>
ipmitool lan set 3 netmask <netmask>
ipmitool lan set 3 defgw ipaddr <default gateway>
ipmitool lan set 3 access on
ipmitool user set name 3 sysadmin
ipmitool channel setaccess 3 3 callin=off ipmi=on link=on privilege=4
ipmitool user set password 3 P@ssw0rd
ipmitool user enable 3
ipmitool bmc reset cold

If this above and changing the switch ports doesnt sort it for you then log a call .. but they will have to swap out the entire chassis to replace the IPMI board!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

How are you trying to configure the IPMI port?  Which Netbackup doc did you use?  Have you done a cold reset?  Do you have console access and the ability to reboot so you could go into the BIOS and set the IPMI settings there?

You may need to log a support case to have a technician come reset the IPMI board.  Sometimes that becomes necessary in a 5230 for some reason.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your reply.

I followed the steps in the Symantec KB below.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO94363

I connected a KVM to the NBU 5230 appliance, configured the IPMI from BIOS and reboot. However, it does not work. I tried to configure a few different IP addresses but none is pingable.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I also tried to run ipmitools commands manually in the appliance. In the appliance I can see the IP addres is set. I also followed some suggestions that I found in the Internet to cold reset bmc. But none of the methods is working.

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you know what the switch port is set to?  Try setting it to a manual 1GbE full duplex and see if that makes any difference.  Assuming you've gone through troubleshooting the switch port and no for sure there are no ACLs or VLAN tagging settings preventing the traffic, I'd suggest opening a support case.  It sounds like you may have a hardware issue with the IPMI card itself.

ejporter
Level 4

I had one that did this.  It was also setup using the BIOS setup.   I ended up  clearing the config out completely from ipmitools.  Then I used the CLISH to set it up.    After that it worked fine.

Most of the time I setup the IPMI using the CLISH and have not had problems.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are at 2.6.0.3 now then thing are a little different ....

First thing to do is check you switch settings ... the IPMI is a cheap little module that runs best on a slow network connection - try setting the port to fixed 100 first to see if it then works ..

If not then try the following which will do a full hardware setup on it .. you need to go into maintenance mode which is now protected ...

Support - maintenance - P@ssw0rd - /opt/Symantec/scspagent/IPS/sisipsoverride.sh - elevate

nb-appliance:/opt/PDOS/install/ syscfg -rfs
Successfully Completed

Wait 2 minutes

nb-appliance:/opt/PDOS/install/ syscfg -rbmc
Successfully Completed

Wait 2 minutes and then:

/usr/bin/ipmitool lan set 3 ipaddr <ip address>
ipmitool lan set 3 netmask <netmask>
ipmitool lan set 3 defgw ipaddr <default gateway>
ipmitool lan set 3 access on
ipmitool user set name 3 sysadmin
ipmitool channel setaccess 3 3 callin=off ipmi=on link=on privilege=4
ipmitool user set password 3 P@ssw0rd
ipmitool user enable 3
ipmitool bmc reset cold

If this above and changing the switch ports doesnt sort it for you then log a call .. but they will have to swap out the entire chassis to replace the IPMI board!