cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to monitor the health of the 5230 appliance?

effiko
Level 4
Partner Certified

in NetBackup 52xx and 5330 Appliance SNMP Trap Reference Guide - 2.7.1 Appendix A "Note: Although the MIB file includes software traps, they are not used. NetBackup
Appliance does not currently send any software traps."

Since the 52xx appliances do not send SNMP traps (although the MIBS are defined) is there a way to monitor the appliance health like CPU/Memory load, disk space etc.?

Is it possible to install e.g. CA NIMSOFT agent on the appliance? 

Can I schedule a crontab job to send health information?

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Q1) in NetBackup 52xx and 5330 Appliance SNMP Trap Reference Guide - 2.7.1 Appendix A "Note: Although the MIB file includes software traps, they are not used. NetBackup Appliance does not currently send any software traps."

A1) I think they are referring to NetBackup Enterprise Server application software traps.  AFAIK, hardware traps are still sent, but I could be wrong.

Q2) Since the 52xx appliances do not send SNMP traps (although the MIBS are defined) is there a way to monitor the appliance health like CPU/Memory load, disk space etc.?

A2) OpsCenter for disk space.  But, AFAIK, OpsCenter does not monitor CPU memory load.

Q3) Is it possible to install e.g. CA NIMSOFT agent on the appliance? 

A3) Sure, but you'll invalidate your support agreement.

Q4) Can I schedule a crontab job to send health information?

A4) Yes, and less chance of this being intrusive.

Why do you feel the need to monitor CPU and memory?

ejporter
Level 4

You can get some basic fault monitoring out of OPSCenter and by setting up email alerts from the CLISH menu.  Both will get you component failure and disk space.  And you really do need at least the email alerts for hardware failures.

Nothing I have seen gets you CPU, Memory, or other resource information.   You can cobble something together from a script.  And you might get a lecture from support if they find it while working on an issue.  :)  However, you will not be the first person to use some scripts to fill gaps in the appliance tools.

I would not advise installing any software on the appliance.   That is likely going to become a point of contention if you every have an issue.

I agree, it would be helpful if they allowed some alarming and reporting on basic resources utilization. It is useful to know when you have overloaded an appliance.

Finally, it’s probably also worth asking your sales team to pass along a feature request.  It will not solve you immediate problem, but you may see it show up in a future rev. The appliance is still maturing and we have seen some of these things get address with new releases.