cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login into Virtual Server Machine fail (VMware)

sungpillhan
Level 3

Hello, 

I'm having issue backing up VMware VMs. Backup stopped working after i upgraded vCenter from 6.7 to 7.0.1. I found that my NetBackup Appliance(3.1, NetBackup console 8.1) supports only vCenter 6.7 or lower. Upgrading the appliance to 3.2 seems fix the issue, but found it's a complicate and risky procedure which requires a consultant. 

So, until we upgrade the appliance, I need to make sure the VM backup running at least. So, I tried to configure ESXi server(vSphere 6.5) instead of vCenter, I still cannot make the login but get the below error in the also attached image. Why does this happen? ESXi is 6.5 and  has not been upgraded to 7, NetBackup 8.1 should work with no issue??? The ESXi name, I typed the ip address of the host, same as vCenter. 

VMware credential validation failed. Status -12021-01-14 17_07_44-Snipping Tool.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sungpillhan
Level 3

Update:

Instead of using vCenter plugin at netbackup, I configured ESXi servers directly to Netbackup. The VM backups are being successful. 

The error above seems a bug in GUI. I had to connect ESXi servers to Netbackup using command and it successfully connects. 

tpconfig -add -virtual_machine vm1 -vm_user_id root -vm_type 2 -password password

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@sungpillhan wrote:

Hello, 

I'm having issue backing up VMware VMs. Backup stopped working after i upgraded vCenter from 6.7 to 7.0.1. I found that my NetBackup Appliance(3.1, NetBackup console 8.1) supports only vCenter 6.7 or lower. Upgrading the appliance to 3.2 seems fix the issue, but found it's a complicate and risky procedure which requires a consultant. 

Why do you believe that?

Have you tried to read though the available documentation and run the 'Appliance Upgrade Readiness Analyzer'?

You really need to upgrade...

sungpillhan
Level 3

Update:

Instead of using vCenter plugin at netbackup, I configured ESXi servers directly to Netbackup. The VM backups are being successful. 

The error above seems a bug in GUI. I had to connect ESXi servers to Netbackup using command and it successfully connects. 

tpconfig -add -virtual_machine vm1 -vm_user_id root -vm_type 2 -password password