cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost connection to clients

Lopez_Diaz
Level 4

Hello, we have a Netbackup Appliance 5230 with version 2.5.3. The Master Server version is 7.5.0.6. The issue is that the clients that connects by DHCP are not connecting. In the Host Properties the Status is "cannot connect on socket". When I do a ping command the server ping the IP that they had when they were added to the Policies. The commands bpclntcmd -hn and bpclntcmd -ip shows different ip address. The nslookup and host commands show the correct IP of the hosts. I did the bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache but it did not resolve the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You usually need to do the -clear_host_cache at least twice to flush it out

Also check that you do not have hosts entries for any of those servers on the appliance

I have to be honest that the idea of backing up clients that have DHCP allocated addresses really is not great and i would trongly advise having them all provided with fixed IP addresses or a reserved DHCP IP address

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You usually need to do the -clear_host_cache at least twice to flush it out

Also check that you do not have hosts entries for any of those servers on the appliance

I have to be honest that the idea of backing up clients that have DHCP allocated addresses really is not great and i would trongly advise having them all provided with fixed IP addresses or a reserved DHCP IP address

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

When I do a ping command the server ping the IP that they had when they were added to the Policies. 

so, ping is still using the old, incorrect IP address? This looks like a problem at OS level. 

NBU is not involved when doing ping command.
What is nslookup showing?

Lopez_Diaz
Level 4

Hello Marianne, 

nslookup give me the correct IP address. Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you seen Mark's post?

I have to be honest that the idea of backing up clients that have DHCP allocated addresses really is not great and i would strongly advise having them all provided with fixed IP addresses or a reserved DHCP IP address

Shaf
Level 6

lopez,

Ping will be disabled if the clients are in dmz behind the firewall,

as Said by mark, dhcp is not a good idea..

try telnet,

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bptestbpcd -client <client name> -debug -verbose