cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP Images dependence

rfmonteiro
Level 3
Partner Accredited

How to discover images dependence in MSDP ?
I want to delete a large image but I dont know if my MSDP will reclaim a space enough.

It would be interesting if there was a tool to inform the dependencies of an image.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

symantec040
Level 4

When you want to delete that one large file, please do not assume that you are freeing up "that much amount" of space in real of MSDP. The purpose of MSDP is to make sure no redundant entries are present for same data.

As I remember MSDP model, there is no such tool to see what all "other client" data is dependant on that one large file!

Instead there is an alternate way of looking at orphaned images that are still stored in MSDP pool, whereas their retention period is expired. This means, NBU Catalog is no more aware of these images as they are expired, but they aren't deleted from MSDP pool yet.

Support will be the correct place to begin looking for such images.

View solution in original post

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi,

If you have Opscenter, you can manipulate the "Pre vs. Post Deduplication Size" to view by policy, and then you can then filter for just that policy that has poor deduplication and then view by client name and expire the client which has poor dedupe (bar would be higher to line). you then filter by just this client and see if the dedupe rate is poor daily. If it is then you will know you'll reclaim more space when you expire the image.

Doing this will show that the poor dedupe rate means that a lot of that backup image never existed in the the MSDP pool and therefore consumed a lot of space.

I hope that makes sense

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

symantec040
Level 4

When you want to delete that one large file, please do not assume that you are freeing up "that much amount" of space in real of MSDP. The purpose of MSDP is to make sure no redundant entries are present for same data.

As I remember MSDP model, there is no such tool to see what all "other client" data is dependant on that one large file!

Instead there is an alternate way of looking at orphaned images that are still stored in MSDP pool, whereas their retention period is expired. This means, NBU Catalog is no more aware of these images as they are expired, but they aren't deleted from MSDP pool yet.

Support will be the correct place to begin looking for such images.

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi,

If you have Opscenter, you can manipulate the "Pre vs. Post Deduplication Size" to view by policy, and then you can then filter for just that policy that has poor deduplication and then view by client name and expire the client which has poor dedupe (bar would be higher to line). you then filter by just this client and see if the dedupe rate is poor daily. If it is then you will know you'll reclaim more space when you expire the image.

Doing this will show that the poor dedupe rate means that a lot of that backup image never existed in the the MSDP pool and therefore consumed a lot of space.

I hope that makes sense