cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP - The partition usage has exceeded warning threshold and will soon reach full capacity

gkman
Level 5

Hello,

Lately we've been getting emails from our appliance regarding our MSDP partitions:
"The partition usage has exceeded warning threshold and will soon reach full capacity. Cleanup the partition and re-check status..."

We usually get these emails on weekends. The interesting part though, is that every time we receive the alert, after a few hours we get another email stating the issue has been resolved. I understand this is because of a delayed cleanup, that reclaims space by deleting expired backups.

I was hoping though there are way to reclaim more space on the partition, and if there is, how much will I be able to reclaim?
I found this article: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH124914, but by the looks of it, it won't help much since the procedure is performed regularly by schedule.

thanks for the help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

PatS729
Level 5

Hi,

You got it right ! what procedure you see in the article it scheduled to run twice a day at an interval of 12 hours. As long as CRQP is happening without errors we are safe.

At the same time, you can do some exercise to find out if you are not backup any data twice in different policies.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Gkman,

To add to PatS729's suggestions, here a few of my own:

• Raise a case with Veritas support, and ask them for a script to check your MSDP pools for orphaned images.  If it finds any, they can build a script to remove them correctly.  I haven't had this issue with my current NetBackup environment, but have had it in the past.
  • Have a look at the deduplication rates for your backups.  You may find some targets are getting really bad dedupe ratios, and these may be better off relocated to say Basic Disk storage units, and then off to tape.
  • Review your retention periods.  You may be able to look at reducing the amount of time you keep some of your backups in the MSDP pool.  I used to have up to 6 months on disk, but have reduced this to three months.  My backups also go to tape for an additional 12 months.  This is handled by SLP's.  I have a number of SLP's for different types of backups, so I can increase or decrease their retention periods fairly easily if needed.

If none of these ideas help, you may need to look at adding additional Veritas Storage Shelves to your appliances.  Judging by the fact you get alerts and then they clear, it looks like your image cleanup is working, but you would appear to be close to your appliances being full.

Hope this helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

PatS729
Level 5

Hi,

You got it right ! what procedure you see in the article it scheduled to run twice a day at an interval of 12 hours. As long as CRQP is happening without errors we are safe.

At the same time, you can do some exercise to find out if you are not backup any data twice in different policies.

Hope it helps.

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Gkman,

To add to PatS729's suggestions, here a few of my own:

• Raise a case with Veritas support, and ask them for a script to check your MSDP pools for orphaned images.  If it finds any, they can build a script to remove them correctly.  I haven't had this issue with my current NetBackup environment, but have had it in the past.
  • Have a look at the deduplication rates for your backups.  You may find some targets are getting really bad dedupe ratios, and these may be better off relocated to say Basic Disk storage units, and then off to tape.
  • Review your retention periods.  You may be able to look at reducing the amount of time you keep some of your backups in the MSDP pool.  I used to have up to 6 months on disk, but have reduced this to three months.  My backups also go to tape for an additional 12 months.  This is handled by SLP's.  I have a number of SLP's for different types of backups, so I can increase or decrease their retention periods fairly easily if needed.

If none of these ideas help, you may need to look at adding additional Veritas Storage Shelves to your appliances.  Judging by the fact you get alerts and then they clear, it looks like your image cleanup is working, but you would appear to be close to your appliances being full.

Hope this helps,

Steve