cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing NetBAckup Environment with NBU 5240 Appliance?

Bachchan
Level 6

Hello Everyone I apologise in advance if this seems like basic question to many.

We are planning to implement NBU in the environment with NBU appliance(5240) at two location while replicating data between two sites. I am a windows guy and NBU appliance comes with suse linux o/s I know that NBU appliance has web console.

1. Can I manage NBU enviroment/appliance such creating SLP, MSDP etc from a Windows machine(server 2012 r2,server 2016) with GUI in this scenario? If yes how?

2. Does the web interface of NBU has all the functionality needed in order to manage the environemnt?

3. As I said I am a windows guy so just want to make sure how will I manage NBU enviroment in this case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

smsaccet1
Level 4

BTW 5240 comes with RHEL not Suse Linux

Answers below.

1. Yes. You can install Netbackup Java console on Windows machine and manage your Netbackup setup. You need to have Network communication and port 1556 to be opened between your appliance and the windows machine.

2. No. Appliance Web interface is only for managing the appliance like managing storage,alerts, call home, NTP ...etc... All Netbackup functions/administration can only be done through Netbackup Java console/CLI.

3. It is not a necessity to be a linux administor to manage and do Netbackup administration as you will not be doing OS, patch upgrade and any other OS administrator tasks. When you upgrade Appliance version, everything will be automatically upgraded at one shot including Netbackup version. You just need to be a Netbackup administrator. Netbackup commands for windows and Appliance enviroment is same.

with that being said, It is very easy manage appliance and has very user friendly options.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

smsaccet1
Level 4

BTW 5240 comes with RHEL not Suse Linux

Answers below.

1. Yes. You can install Netbackup Java console on Windows machine and manage your Netbackup setup. You need to have Network communication and port 1556 to be opened between your appliance and the windows machine.

2. No. Appliance Web interface is only for managing the appliance like managing storage,alerts, call home, NTP ...etc... All Netbackup functions/administration can only be done through Netbackup Java console/CLI.

3. It is not a necessity to be a linux administor to manage and do Netbackup administration as you will not be doing OS, patch upgrade and any other OS administrator tasks. When you upgrade Appliance version, everything will be automatically upgraded at one shot including Netbackup version. You just need to be a Netbackup administrator. Netbackup commands for windows and Appliance enviroment is same.

with that being said, It is very easy manage appliance and has very user friendly options.