cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server migration

SheltonQ
Level 4

Hi Folks - i would like to get your ideas in migrating the media server to appliance.

Media server runs on LinuxR and 77X

Appliance 5330 (Media only)

I would need a decommission the my media server and move the config's to appliance.

Please sugguest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to figure out what to do with existing dedupe volume on the old media server before removing tape access from old media server.

If you are 100% sure that all data on dedupe disk has been duplicated to tape or if you are going to duplicate all images on dedupe pool to the Appliance, it is fine to remove all tape-related devices from old media server and config on Appliance only.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

What kind of backup devices are currently attached to the media server?

@Marianne  - there is library and disk for dedupe is attached to it .

Marianne

Best will be to deploy the new Appliance and zone the tape library to it, config STU and simply move policies and SLPs there. 

Since the old media server is still in the environment, the tape drives should be configured as SSO at this point.

With all new backups running to the Appliance, you have time to deal with the old media server.

You have 3 choices on how to deal with the dedupe storage on the old media server before decommissioning it:

1. Depending on retention levels, you could simply keep the old media server around until all backup copies on disk have expired.

2. Duplicate all disk backups to tape, then expire the disk backups.

3. Duplicate all dedupe disk backups to the Appliance and expire source copy.

When all disk backups on old media server have expired, you can then remove the dedupe storage (see this TN:  http://www.veritas.com/docs/000011549), then decommission the old media server (nbdecommission). 
When you decommission the media server, you will assign all tape ownership to the Appliance.

@Marianne - Thanks for your time in  responding back.

If i do not use the media server for tape operation do i still have to configure with SSO .

If i move the media ID ownership to the appliance with bpmedia command and can i avoid that media server from SSO configuration as i will be using only appliance .

Marianne

You need to figure out what to do with existing dedupe volume on the old media server before removing tape access from old media server.

If you are 100% sure that all data on dedupe disk has been duplicated to tape or if you are going to duplicate all images on dedupe pool to the Appliance, it is fine to remove all tape-related devices from old media server and config on Appliance only.