cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from 5220 to 5240 Master/Media Appliance

SYM-AJ
Level 5

I have a customer who currently has a Primary and DR site - each with a 5220 Appliance acting as a Master/Media server.

We are looking to replace the Primary Site 5220 with a 5240 Appliance - and I am planning the migration process.  All images are replicated to DR via AIR, so retention of images on the Primary appliance is not required as they can be restored from the DR appliance if required.

I am planning the following approach:

1. Install and configure the new 5240 on the primary site with same name/IP as the production 5220.

2. Perform a partial catalog import to simply bring in the configuration / clients / policies etc.  We wont have the backup images on disk on the new appliance so no need to bring in image files etc.

What is the recommended approach here, similar to above or different ?  Also, how do I import just the config/client/policy info without including the image details ?

Following successfull migration on the Primary site I plan to re-home the storage shelf from the primary appliance onto the DR appliance to provide additional storage.  Any advices here (i.e. recommended method to wipe the data from the shelf and return to factory status ready for adding to DR appliance) ?

Thanks,

AJ.

16 REPLIES 16

D_Flood
Level 6

Before you shut down the Primary 5220 for the last time I'd follow some of the KB and Forum Articles to wipe it.  This should cut down on the mess you'll have when you relocate the shelves.

Even with those steps, you're probably going to have to log a call with Support to help you recognize and integrate those shelves into the DR system.  They're going to have markers, partitions, and other information on them that will cause the storage controller to go crazy trying to recreate what was there on the Primary..

Thanks for the input.

Any advice on the migration ?

AJ

I can't be much help there.  I'm a "all the catalog or start from scratch" kinda guy...

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

It might look like a good idea to reuse your old disk-shelves but....

Can you get extended support for them?

Do they perform as good your new 5240 shelves?

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

The DR appliance is a 5220, right?  I'm not completely clear on whether you're trying to add 5220 disk shelves to a 5240, sorry.  If so, that's not supported.

There is a procedure that I can't seem to find publicly available, but I know support has that they can help you walk through the right steps for prepping the storage shelf for moving between systems.  When I've helped customers with it in the past, the high level process I've used is to factory reset, NOT preserving storage and then moving the shelf to the second appliance and following the docs on how to add a storage shelf.  With a 5220, I seem to recall there being a couple of other little steps that makes it easier, but I can't seem to find my personal doc on this right now, either, so I suggest calling support or logging a web ticket asking what steps need to be taken to move a shelf from one 5220 to another, with no concern for preserving data.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Even,

We are installing a 5240 with shelves to replace the primary site 5220, but intend to move / re-use the shelf off the primary site 5220 in the DR site up until the end of support date (Dec 2018).  This simly provides value for money for the customer from the existing shelves.  Once they become end of support then the DR site 5220 will also be replaced with a 5240 plus shelf.

AJ

Charles,

Both are currently 5220, and we intend to move the shelf off the primary 5220 to the DR 5220 - so all good there.

Thanks for the input.

AJ

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't see an answer to your query over here:

"...how do I import just the config/client/policy info without including the image details ?"

Policies are folders and flat files under /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class.

You can simply copy the contents of the class folder.
Best to create Storage Units on new Appliance with exact same names, otherwise you will need to update STU names manually in each policy and possibly schedules as well. 

Config in Global Attributes is stored in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config and can also be copied across.
Other config 'stuff' in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf - copy across.

If you have customized Client Attributes under Master server properties, you can copy /usr/openv/netbackup/client folder. 

SLPs will be more challenging - at some NBU version they were moved into the EMM db.
Earlier versions had them under /usr/openv/netbackup/db/ss. 
If you are using SLPs, you will probably need to recreate them.

Thanks for the input Marianne - exactly what I was looking for.

Of the 2 sites I am looking at here1 is at 2612 and the other is at 272.  As the 5240's will be shipped at 273 (I am guessing) I will bring them up to this level prior to transferring the files over.

One site has tape attached and I will need to keep records of the tapes so was thinking I am probably best to expire all the disk based images from the 5220 and then do a full catalog backup / restore onto the 5240.

I will watch out for SLP's.......

AJ

Marianne
Level 6

Full Catalog restore will be best. 
It will also restore SLPs.

Marianne,

I have just attempted this copy of the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class contents from my old V3.0 5220 to my new V3.0 5240.  The entries are now there in the new appliance however the policies are not showing up in the Admin Console on the new appliance ??  I have restarted services and even rebooted the appliance but with no success.

Am I missing something here ?  Could there possibly be an issue wth permissions on the class directory contents (I am not a unix guy....).

AJ.

Marianne
Level 6

@SYM-AJ

Apologies for reviving this old post.
I am curious how the migration from 5220 master/media to 5240 worked for you. 

I know somebody who needs to do the same.
There should be many customers with similar needs and no official 'HOW TO' doc from Veritas.... 

PS: 
Your answer over here:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup-Appliance/Migrate-Netbackup-Old-Images-to-New-Appliance-5240/m-...  
prompted me to look for this post.

Marianne,

If you email me / PM me I will forward you on all the info relating to this.

AJ.

Marianne
Level 6

Thanks AJ!

I have sent PM.

Marianne
Level 6

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread needing to migrate from 5220 to 5240:

Veritas NetBackup Appliance™ Hardware Migration Toolkit

Description

The Veritas NetBackup Appliance™ Hardware Migration Toolkit makes it easy to perform a simple transition from older NetBackup Appliances to newer ones during hardware refresh cycles and eliminate the cost of services engagement.

With this toolkit, you can migrate the NetBackup configuration, policies, catalogs, and images from a source appliance configured as a master server or master/media server (all-in-one) to a new appliance with the same role with a few steps.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100043950.html

This appears to offer a rather 'limited' approach by requiring 2.7.3 as the NBU version on both source and target devices.  My approach does not have this limitation and worked like a dream - although a more manual approach.

I have no 5220's left now so this headache has gone away for now - until we reach the 5230 EOL.......

AJ