cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N5220 Media Server to be used for VADP backup?

oughck
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All

I have read somewhere that the backup host for VADP have to be a windows master or media server. Is that true?

My customer have bought a N5220 appliance. Since it is using a form of linux, will I be able to use the N5220 as the backup host for VADP?

Thanks!

ck

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee

There are plans for a future release of the applicance that can backup VMware directly.

For now, you need a minimum of a NetBackup Windows Client, either physical or virtual, to run NetBackup for VMware.  That client works with any media server, including the 5220.

In your case, you can consider using our VMware Block-Level Incremental Backups with the 5220.  That will provide the least amount of data transfer with target-side dedupe.

Brian Smith
NetBackup Product Manager

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Brian_Smith1
Level 4
Employee

There are plans for a future release of the applicance that can backup VMware directly.

For now, you need a minimum of a NetBackup Windows Client, either physical or virtual, to run NetBackup for VMware.  That client works with any media server, including the 5220.

In your case, you can consider using our VMware Block-Level Incremental Backups with the 5220.  That will provide the least amount of data transfer with target-side dedupe.

Brian Smith
NetBackup Product Manager

teiva-boy
Level 6

Using virtual windows guests, configured for SCSI hot-add is a simple thing to do...  And pretty darn quick to boot.  That is my fall back if SAN transport is not available and MS licensing is a plenty...