Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Appliance 5220 compatibility

syedzeeshan
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

as we have requirement to attach

Tape drive lto 6  of hp   model “HPLTO-6-ULKTRIUM 6250 SAS EXTERNAL TAPE DRVIE ” with netbackup appliance 5220

interface

6Gb/s Dual Port SAS interface

It can be attached and used with appliance 5220 as their is no FC options

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You cannot put a 3rd party card into an NBU appliance.  The FC-SAS bridge would be a separate external piece of hardware you connect the FC cards in the appliance to, and then the SAS tape unit to the SAS ports on it.  It would not install any drivers.  The HBA drivers are already installed on the appliance if you have a model with FC HBAs in it.

I cannot recommend any specific device since this is not supported by Symantec.  I would recommend engagement of a partner to work through the details here or acquisition of tape devices that are natively supported by the appliance, i.e., FC tape drives.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

chashock
Level 6

You can't directly attach to the appliance. You'd have to use a FC-SAS bridge.  Symantec doesn't support the bridge, and anything beyond the FC connection would have to be supported by another vendor.  I have seen reports of this working.

syedzeeshan
Level 5
Partner Accredited

dear 

it means it will not work either the way 

FS-SAS bridge 

as it is nbu appliance which is master media server 

i cannot make a windows server media server where it is attached as iscsi 

syedzeeshan
Level 5
Partner Accredited

the details are given below scsi sas

any thrid party vendor you can advice once the bridge is their

i can connect with NBU appliances by auto discovery drivers will be installed 

The HP Smart Array P212 is HP's entry level PCI Express (PCIe) Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) RAID 
  • Entry Level Performance.
    4 internal ports/4 external ports of 3Gb Serial Attached SCSI (SAS). x8 PCI-Express I/O connector. DDR-2/266 memory. 256MB, and Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC) upgrade option

chashock
Level 6

You cannot put a 3rd party card into an NBU appliance.  The FC-SAS bridge would be a separate external piece of hardware you connect the FC cards in the appliance to, and then the SAS tape unit to the SAS ports on it.  It would not install any drivers.  The HBA drivers are already installed on the appliance if you have a model with FC HBAs in it.

I cannot recommend any specific device since this is not supported by Symantec.  I would recommend engagement of a partner to work through the details here or acquisition of tape devices that are natively supported by the appliance, i.e., FC tape drives.