cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Appliance IPMI KVM Disabled

Gfontes
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have a 5230 Appliance, I have managed to get the IPMI configured by using IPMITools. When I try to use the KVM portion (Click on the Remote Control tab) I get a pop-up saying "This feature has been disabled by an administrator"

I followed the instructions setting up the bios, but there was not mention of doing anything with the redirection settings so I left them alone, have I missed something?

All other functionality is there, but the java kvm does not work. (no prompt for plugin download, so something seems to be turned off)

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Looks like you need to just reset it all .. try this from the appliances O/S (support - maintenance):

/usr/bin/
ipmitool lan set 3 access on
ipmitool user set name 3 sysadmin
ipmitool channel setaccess 3 3 callin=off ipmi=on link=on privilege=4
ipmitool user set password 3 P@ssw0rd
ipmitool user enable 3
ipmitool bmc reset cold

Then wait a few minutes

If that doesn't do it you may need to do more of a re-set .. try this first and if it doesnt work let me know and i will give you the full reset instcutions .. but i will need to know which version you are running (2.5 or 2.6)

Gfontes
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Think it was from one of your posts in fact. Version 2.6, everything works fine with the exception of the KVM. Says it is disabled when I hit the remote control tab - but all of the power options are available. Is there another form of reset?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You can do the full reset as below, waiting a couple of minutes between each command:

nb-appliance:/opt/PDOS/install/ syscfg -rfs

nb-appliance:/opt/PDOS/install/ syscfg -rbmc

and then run all of the commands listed in my earlier post

It is also worth making sure that your appliance is in yoru trusted sites or local intranet site in case it just immediately blocks it in some way.

Gfontes
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yeah, no go - I have tried a coulple of machines with a couple of browsers, it is definitely on the device. Could it be that redirection is somehow disabled at the BIOS? 

Short of traveling an hour and cold booting the machine, is there a way to confirm the BIOS settings are correct?

Veerendra
Level 3

CASES:

1).Some time it happens due to Java ssl certificate check , did you added the Appliance IPMI ip to Java's Security "Expection site List" ?.

Please verify once by going to Control Panel --> Java --> Security settings and add the https://yourapplianceip.

if you are already added means please ignore.

2).And we are sure you need add the Appliance IP to Internet Explorer Security --> Trusted sites and make a custom configure for Trusted sites enable all the settings expect the " Use Pop-UP Blocker".

3). Antivirus or Windows Group policy might blocking the java jar files to execute.

Gfontes
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have tried that, and I have used Chrome, Firefox, and IE on my Win7 box, and Chrome and Firefox on my MAC and I get the same (see attached) when I click the Remote Controll Tab

I thinkt the problem is on the NBU device side.

Veerendra
Level 3

I think its due to you might logged in as a normal user otherthan a administrator Privileged IPMI userid.

Can you confirm that the IPMI user you logged in have the administrative privileges?

The default IPMI userid which has administrative Privieges is sysadmin.

Gfontes
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Privilege level=4 Also made sure root was enabled and administrator and same result when logged in as root

Veerendra
Level 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It is an Intel alert from the BMC card - so i dont think it is your browser or anything.

Many details will be in a DataCollect so you could have a look at that .. you will need one anyway to log a call for this issue

I guess it is time to log a call to have it looked at ... the IPMI port actually sits on a very small board which pops out at the back of the appliance (once the lid is off) so it may just need to be re-seated properly to sort it out but best not to try it yourself as you could have an engineer out in a few hours.

Unless things have changed you will need a whole new chassis if it is faulty though as it is not a part in its own right ... no halles here though as everything just swaps over from the old chassis to the new one and just works!

Log a call

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

I remember having a connectivity issue with the IPMI console one time from my laptop, which was solved when I turned off wifi. The error didn't imply it at the time (and it wasn't exactly the same as yours) but it ended up being a routing type problem.