Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Appliance Media Server and Tape drive issues

DPeaco
   VIP   

Good afternoon,

We have a shared solution that is this:

4 each - 5230's (2.7.3)

1 - 5230 is a master and the other 3 are media servers.

All appliances are zoned to see the fiber attached tape library (IBM TS3500 with 22 LTO-6 drives)

I am seeing where there are a couple of drives on one of the media servers that say "missing path". Other media servers show the same drive as being "up". Is there a way I can resolve this issue on the one media server without causing issues for all my other master/media servers? APP1 says that 20 of the drives are fine and in an UP state but it shows the missing path on 2 of the drives.

All of this has worked well for some time now as this environment is not a new setup but has been in full production for over 1,000 backup clients for over a year now. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

Device path is particular to a media server.

To fix that, usually we remove the drives with "missing path" manually by using tpconfig. Once they're gone, run a tpautoconf -t to rescan and setup the drives, this will pick up the new paths (as long as OS can access the device paths). Existing drives with no issue won't be affected. Then restart NBU services on this media server - it won't affect other media servers.

This technote may help further... 

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000027854

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

watsons
Level 6

Device path is particular to a media server.

To fix that, usually we remove the drives with "missing path" manually by using tpconfig. Once they're gone, run a tpautoconf -t to rescan and setup the drives, this will pick up the new paths (as long as OS can access the device paths). Existing drives with no issue won't be affected. Then restart NBU services on this media server - it won't affect other media servers.

This technote may help further... 

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000027854