cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIC Bonding

arctics2
Level 5

Hello,

Having a little trouble getting 802.3ad nic teaming working on two 5230 appliances.  I've configured teaming before on Windows 2008 servers and it seems to work fine.  The network team configures LACP on the switch side, and on the server side, I create the team in 802.3ad mode.  On the appliance however, I create the bond, and on cli as well as through the web interface of the appliance, it looks to be created and functional, but on the switch side it doesn't look to be active.

The bond has been created with eth1,2 and 3 ports (1 Gb/s).  The web interface shows them all as up, and the network configuration shows the correct IP on bond0(eth1,eth2,eth3) with bond mode at 802.3ad.  On the switch side, for some reason, the bond automatically splits into 2 separate bonds, 1 bond with eth1 and the other with eth2 and eth3.  Both bonds show with LACP configured.

We have two identical appliances, and we have tried configuring bonding on both appliances and the exact same thing happens.  

Has anyone come across this, or have any suggestions of what else to check?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

arctics2
Level 5

Thanks for the responses.  This is resolved now.  For some reason, 1/3/45 wouldn't let go of its old configuration.  We just switched to another port, reconfigured the bond on the switch side, and now it appears to be working fine.  Oddly, the same occured on the second appliance's bond. 

Regarding port 2/3/39, this is a physically separate switch (for redundancy), but logically, they are combined to function as one.  Normally, for all our servers, with 4 ports, we create a bond with 2 on one switch and 2 on the other.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have configured it on several customers without any problem. With switch manufacturer do you have?

arctics2
Level 5

Cisco c6590

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

The network team configured the switch this way (I think that it as a 4500). I am not sure if it will help:

interface Port-channel1
description Netbackup Appliance (Gi1/18,Gi1/21,Gi1/22,Gi1/26)
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/18
switchport mode trunk
logging event link-status
channel-group 1 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/21
description Netbackup Appliance
switchport mode trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/22
switchport mode trunk
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/26
switchport mode trunk
end

arctics2
Level 5

Thanks, I've passed this on to the network team.

This is our config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/3/45

switchport
switchport access vlan 30
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast edge
channel-protocol lacp
channel-group 16 mode active
end

interface GigabitEthernet1/3/47

switchport
switchport mode access
channel-protocol lacp
end

interface GigabitEthernet2/3/39

switchport
switchport mode access
channel-protocol lacp
end

interface Port-channel16

switchport
switchport mode access
end

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Maybe there is something missing in the configuration. Netbackup clish leaves little choice. I will try to find another configuration.

EnriquePereira
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have seen something that makes me think... The first number of one port is different:

interface GigabitEthernet1/3/45

interface GigabitEthernet1/3/47

interface GigabitEthernet2/3/39 <- This is 2/.... instead of 1/

Can you check if eth1 is on the last port and then is the one that is on another bonding? Maybe the first number is the module name and there is any kind of requirement for the bonding.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I agree with the port numbering being the possible issue

I have done the bonding on appliances a LOT of times and never had an issue using the CLISH with the command:

Linkaggregation enable eth1,eth2,eth3 802.3ad (or similar)

The 1 and 2 on the switch indicates that they may be in different network segments which would not work

arctics2
Level 5

Thanks for the responses.  This is resolved now.  For some reason, 1/3/45 wouldn't let go of its old configuration.  We just switched to another port, reconfigured the bond on the switch side, and now it appears to be working fine.  Oddly, the same occured on the second appliance's bond. 

Regarding port 2/3/39, this is a physically separate switch (for redundancy), but logically, they are combined to function as one.  Normally, for all our servers, with 4 ports, we create a bond with 2 on one switch and 2 on the other.