cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 5020 Appliance Data Erasure

Dan_Doffermyre
Level 2

I am looking for a procedure to perform a data erasure on a 5020 appliance.  We need to send several appliances back to Symantec.  Is there an official Symantec procedure for performing a data erasure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

andrew_mcc
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

I'm also not aware of an official procedure but you can use the Linux "shred" utility on the underlying /Storage partition but be aware it can take a long time (days or even weeks) with multiple passes. You will likely need to stop all PureDisk processes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Well no so official that I have seen. You can use Storage Foundations Volume Manager which is on the machine. 

andrew_mcc
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

I'm also not aware of an official procedure but you can use the Linux "shred" utility on the underlying /Storage partition but be aware it can take a long time (days or even weeks) with multiple passes. You will likely need to stop all PureDisk processes.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I have a document that covers the 5330, again very "Unofficial", but can be modified for the 5020. 

Dan_Doffermyre
Level 2

Andrew this is perfect.  thanks!

Dan_Doffermyre
Level 2

thanks Andrew!  I ended up using the Linux shred utility as the vxdiskunsetup doesn't have a shred option for the version of Storage Foundation on the 5020.