Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7 and PDDO

Sean_C_
Level 3
Certified

Hi guys,

Just looking for clarification that I have understood this correctly: 

I have a Netbackup 5000 appliance that I want to use as a disk pool in my current Netbackup 7 environment. I have read through the NBU PureDisk Deduplication Option Guide from which I gather I am going to have to go through the process of installing the PDDO plugin on a Netbackup media server to enable it to write Netbackup backups to the PureDisk storage pool.

Have I understood this correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Sean,

The plugin for PDDO is bundled with NetBackup 7.x (7.0, 7.0.1 and 7.1). No installation step here.

If you are using NetBackup 5000 appliance with NetBackup 6.5.x, then you do need to download and install the plugin.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

teiva-boy
Level 6

Correct.  Puredisk agent will get installed, and detect that it's a media server and the PDDO checkbox will not be greyed out for you to be selected.

And for anyone else to clarify..  When you buy the dedupe option licenses, it comes with all the Enterprise Disk licenses too...  So make sure you're not being told to buy both ;)  

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

Hi Sean,

The plugin for PDDO is bundled with NetBackup 7.x (7.0, 7.0.1 and 7.1). No installation step here.

If you are using NetBackup 5000 appliance with NetBackup 6.5.x, then you do need to download and install the plugin.

Sean_C_
Level 3
Certified

Thanks Abdul, I fired up the Netbackup 5000, completed the wizard to configure the SPA, and then ran the Storage Server Config wizard on the Media Server selecting the Puredisk options. The agent is indeed bundled with 7.1 and it was pretty straighforward.

Only problem left is that I am getting a lot of error 40s when trying to backup to the storage unit I have created for this.

Fr_d_ric_RIGAL
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Under which OS runs the NBU Media Server which manages the Appliance?

Which type of Storage Server have you choosen when creating the Storage Server? the Disk Pool?

You do not have to launch the Storage Server Config wizard  from the Media Server but from the Master Server himself

Sean_C_
Level 3
Certified

My master and all media servers are Windows 2003 SP2. I launched the "Configure Disk Storage Servers" Wizard from the master server selecting "PureDisk Deduplication Pool" as the disk storage type. For the storage server name I specified the PureDisk Appliance and selected the media server.

Fr_d_ric_RIGAL
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Network resolution has it been made in FQDN on each part of configuration?

Stanleyj
Level 6
I had a very similar issue with our 5200 appliance. I had to edit the host file on the appliance and the master server to include the master server and the appliances hostname and IP addresses.

sbrembati21
Level 2
Partner Accredited

hi

i have a netbackup 5000 appliance but my netbackuop 7.0.1 master/media server don't see the PureDisk on the appliance.

I have read all documents in the CD but nothing.

Where i can configure the PDDO in Netbackup 7.0.1?

thanks

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

Once the appliance is setup, run the disk pool configuration wizard on your master server. Choose the disk pool type as PureDisk Deduplication Pool and follow the prompts.

AbdulRasheed
Level 6

It walks you through the process.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/netbackup-5000-series-deduplication-appliance-demo

bartman10
Level 4

Not quite correct AbdulRasheed.

If your running NBU 7.x on AIX or HP-UX you will need to install the PD plugin from the SPA's main www page.

If you do, be careful if you enable media server compression in your pd.conf file. If your PD is 6.6.1.x your AIX or HP-UX media server will also be running 6.6.1.2 of the PD plugin. 6.6.1 uses a new type of compression engine. So if the backup goes to AIX/HP-UX I have a feeling your other media servers (linux,windows) would not be able to handle the restore as it's been compressed in a way they don't know about. Linux/Windows NBU 7 report they are running PD 6.6.0.x..

I've asked symantec techs about this and they say "oh.. that's a good point, i don't know"

Symantec, please consolidate the version of PD running on the PDDO servers, media servers and clients running client side dedupe!!!

Have fun if you enable client side dedupe then get an EEB to fix a puredisk issue... you have to manually install it on ALL clients and media servers... by hand... Currently we are "Rock Solid" version SEVEN. It's like a Rocky movie!