cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Appliance Call Home Feature

Sisso
Level 5

Hello,

We are running Netbackup Master Server with version 7.6.0.3 on Windows Server 2008 sp1 r2

and our Netbackup media servers are Ntebackup Appliances 5230.

Recently, I read about the Call Home feature that supported by the Netbackup Appliance and decided to activate this feature on our environment.                 The problem is that to reach Symantec server to send them the call home logs, in out evironment we must go through FW that goes to a proxy server and them go outside to the WAN. Moreover, we got some seperated networks of the Appliances that dont have any network between each other but each appliance can connect to the same master server. My question is if there it any way to make my Master server as a proxy server that all the appliances will send to hime the Call Home logs and this master server will transfer all the data to the main proxy server that will sebd all the data to Symantec.

Thank you,

Sisso

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No, there is no "CallHome Proxy" functionality at this time.  You must configure each appliance to connect through your http proxy for outbound connection directly to the CallHome servers at Symantec.

Also, I would NEVER configure a backup server to function as anything but a backup server, especially not as a proxy to the outside world.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

chashock
Level 6

No this is not currently possible.  Each appliance would need to be configured to use the proxy individually.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As mentioned, the appliance needs to have a direct connection.

Sisso
Level 5

Each Appliance have a direct connection to the master server that connect to the proxy server, if i configure the master as proxy it will work?

chashock
Level 6

No, there is no "CallHome Proxy" functionality at this time.  You must configure each appliance to connect through your http proxy for outbound connection directly to the CallHome servers at Symantec.

Also, I would NEVER configure a backup server to function as anything but a backup server, especially not as a proxy to the outside world.

Sisso
Level 5

Ok, thank you very much.

In addition, do you know maybe from which network adapter on the appliance I should connect to the proxy server?

I can configure that the Call Home function will work through the IPMI or the Management?

chashock
Level 6

Nothing goes through the IPMI connection except IPMI traffic.

It doesn't matter what network connection you use (aside from IPMI), as long as it can reach the Proxy over IP to authenticate and get to the outside world.  You don't assign a NIC to CallHome, you simply configure it for a Proxy, and if none of the network connections can reach that proxy, set one up which can.