cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Appliance Software versus NetBackup Application Software

JasonRkr
Level 4

Hi, all. 

Studying on a Saturday and could use a little clarification ...  Is there a page that explains the differences between the NBU Applicance software and the NBU Application software?  I thought upgrading my 5230 appliance from 2.7.3 to 3.2 would include the 8.2 application version, but was told the two are separate and that upgradind to 3.2 is not a requirement of upgrading the application from 7.7.3 to 8.2.

Thank you,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

Not sure where you're getting this information, but the whole point of a NetBackup Appliance is that the version upgrade (2.7.3 to 3.2 for instance) is that you get platform AND software upgrade in the same patch.  It's why it's called an Integrated Purpose Built Backup Appliance.  You don't upgrade the appliance and then upgrade NBU.  You download an RPM and go through one upgrade motion that does it all.  With 2.7.3 to 3.2, you can do a single upgrade to get there.  You will also have a conversion of your MSDP pool and fingerprints.  

Differentiate this from a Flex Appliance, which distinctly separates platform from version and enables you to run multiple NBU versions on the same physical platform.

As Marianne says, read the Release Notes thoroughly.  I'd suggest reading the Release Notes for every version between where you are and where you want to go so you understand all the things that will change.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@JasonRkr 

Have a look at the 3.2 Release Notes:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/77080687-137340411-0/v90442239-137340411

NetBackup software version 8.2 is included with the NetBackup appliance 3.2 release. Information about the new features, enhancements, and fixes found in NetBackup 8.2 can be found in the NetBackup 8.2 Release Notes document on the Veritas Support website:

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

Not sure where you're getting this information, but the whole point of a NetBackup Appliance is that the version upgrade (2.7.3 to 3.2 for instance) is that you get platform AND software upgrade in the same patch.  It's why it's called an Integrated Purpose Built Backup Appliance.  You don't upgrade the appliance and then upgrade NBU.  You download an RPM and go through one upgrade motion that does it all.  With 2.7.3 to 3.2, you can do a single upgrade to get there.  You will also have a conversion of your MSDP pool and fingerprints.  

Differentiate this from a Flex Appliance, which distinctly separates platform from version and enables you to run multiple NBU versions on the same physical platform.

As Marianne says, read the Release Notes thoroughly.  I'd suggest reading the Release Notes for every version between where you are and where you want to go so you understand all the things that will change.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances