cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Appliance configuring AIR in a single NBU Domain, is this possible?

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

Please I need an advise on the above title.

I have a large netbackup domain with dr remote location. I currently purchase some set of netbackup appliances and want to configure the auto-image replication between the production and dr site. Below are the setup in each location, kindly advise as per the above question.

Production:

1 nbu Master server (traditional)

3 nbu appliance (media server) with storage shelves attached

Dr site:

1 nbu Master server (traditional) same as above in Production

1 nbu appliance (media server) with storage shelves attached

Now I want to configure AIR between one of the appliance head (MSDP) in Production, to the appliance head (MSDP) in DR. The Production and DR appliance shared a single NBU domain, although in remote locations.

Question: Will the Auto-Imge-Replication configuration work? I have read in several Symantec technote that AIR must be between two NBU domains.

Please if the above question will work, kindly guide me thru the configuration, since both appliance in PROD and DR are configured as media servers.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

AIR is for different domains with different master servers.

In the same domain, you will configure a normal SLP with backup to Prod Appliance and Duplication to DR appliance.

This will not help you in a real disaster situation if all of production site is lost.
You need a master server at DR.

Why no configure DR Appliance as a Master/Media server?
This will allow you to config AIR and a DR NBU server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne

AIR is for different domains with different master servers.

In the same domain, you will configure a normal SLP with backup to Prod Appliance and Duplication to DR appliance.

This will not help you in a real disaster situation if all of production site is lost.
You need a master server at DR.

Why no configure DR Appliance as a Master/Media server?
This will allow you to config AIR and a DR NBU server.

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

Thank you so much, your reply as indeed answer all my concerns and worries.

We have a very large nbu environments running a global cluster, so the challenge now is migrating the current traditional master server to the netbackup appliance.

However, thank you once again, the management will need to decide on what to do.

Regards,

Felix

Marianne

You need a trained Catalog Manipulation consultant to assist with such a migration.

See:
How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains. 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marianne,

Regards,

Felix