Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Appliance v2.5.4 re-image failed

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Team,

Kindly assist, I recently re-image my NetBackup Appliance 5230 running v2.5.4. However, the re-imaging did not complete successfully. I got this two errors below while the re-imaging is still booting:

vxfs mount: vxfs: ERROR:V-321268: /dev/vx/dsk/nbuapp/pdvol is corrupted. needs checking

vxfs mount: vxfs: ERROR:V-321268: /dev/vx/dsk/nbuapp/catvol is corrupted. needs checking

And the final error below:

Welcome to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP4 (x86-64) - kernel 2.6.16.60-0.10.3.1 - smp (tty).

ERROR: Configuration of NetBackup Appliance Failed....

Please how do I correct this error.

Thanks in advance forn your support.

Regards,

Felix

14 REPLIES 14

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

Have you powered all the way down? sometimes a simple reboot will fix it. If you have tried multiple times, there could be something wrong with the image or disks. You will most likely want to open a support case. 

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Terry,

I have rebooted several times but issue persist.

I am wondering why it should boot from "Welcome to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP4 (x86-64) - kernel 2.6.16.60-0.10.3.1 - smp (tty)." when I am actually install 2.5.4, could this not be the problem.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,

Felix

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

When you re-image it is working with the head not the trays. What you're seeing is probably due to the trays having been powered on when you did the re-image. If you had wanted to retain the data you could have powered them off, done the re-image, done some configs, and then go the data back.

So the questions is, what was the goal?

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Riaan,

Yes I tried both methods but the re-imaged still fails. I did not want to keep any data as this is a new appliance. It was initially setup and was working fine, except that we had WEB UI error "Login failed. Please contact your System Administrator" each time we attached the storage shelf to the head unit. The admin user account name and password was not changed but login thru the WEB was not successful. So I decided to re-image and got the error message below:

UX:vxfs mount.vxfs: ERROR:V-321268: /dev/vx/dsk/nbuapp/pdvol is corrupted. needs checking

UX:vxfs mount.vxfs: ERROR:V-321268: /dev/vx/dsk/nbuapp/catvol is corrupted. needs checking

Since then, I have tried re-imaging with several images v2.5.4, thinking the initial image was corrupt, but all the re-imaging was not successful. They all failed with the above error.

My major concern now, is how can I access the root shell and run a fsck on the corrupt filesystems, as this could be the solution to this problem.

Regards,

Felix

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Those volumes are from your previous install. If you've installed fresh and no issues they won't exist. They only get created when you add it to a NBU domain (or configure it as master).

So my question is, you say its failed, why do you say that? Did it get stuck somewhere in the process and those errors appear, or does it come up and you see those errors somewhere?

Please describe the process followed and where you are stuck.

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Riaan,

Please I have upload some pics for you to see the errors.

Thank you,

Felix

RiaanBadenhorst

ok,

Try this

Login go to support>maintenance and put the password

type elevate

you're now in the root shell

run

fsck -t vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/nbuapp/pdvol

fsck -t vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/nbuapp/catvol

Check if those mounts are in the /etc/fstab

then mount them

then exit the maintenance shell and run a factory reset and trash the storage.

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Riaan,

That is the main problem now, I can't access the CLISH to carry out the steps below due to the failed re-imaged:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Try this
Login go to support>maintenance and put the password
type elevate
you're now in the root shell
run
fsck -t vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/nbuapp/pdvol
fsck -t vxfs /dev/vx/rdsk/nbuapp/catvol
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Is there anyway I can access the single-user mode shell to run the fsck command on the corrupt filesystems.
Thank you,
Felix

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont think anyone has released the builtin password to anyone .. looks like you need to start again and re-image

You sould really have a supoort case for this .. they may just be able to do something we dont get access to do

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you Mark,

I have aleady open a support case for this issue, is just that support is slow in responding on the way forward.

Regards,

Felix

RiaanBadenhorst

Sorry, you might have said this before, but if you re-image the appliance without the tray powered up, then you should not find any issues like this. You're seeing that because Storage Foundation, once installed by the re-image, detects the disks and knows it was part of a volume manger disk config. So when the post SUSE installation / appliance configuration scripts run they're having issue because those volumes are configured.

That's my take on it. If you power down the disk and re-image, and let it finish then it might pop up with the corrupt message after you turn the trays on, but it would not have hindered the configuration of the appliance up to being blank.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sorry for the slow support. PM me the case number. I will look into it

amoramo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Terry,

Thank you so much for your kind words, please this is the case-number: 07261773

I'm grateful.

Regards,

Felix

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello Felix

I reviewed whats going on with the case and I had a appliance engineer review the case. 

One thing that is noticed, and that Riaan pointed out, is corruption detected by Storage foundation. It looks like the tech assiged to the case gave you instructions to fix the corruption. What was the outcome of that? You could open a case with Storage Foundation to repair the corruption as well if you have issues with it. 

I also want to verify, what version was this applaince on before the re-image? Your tring to reimage 2.5.4 now but if your applaince was at a higher version, this can cause issues. Please make sure to re-image with the version you were at before. If your unsure, give you tech the serial number of you appliance and they can look that up for you.