Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 - N5000 Appliance and PureDisk Client

Dataway
Level 4

A client of mine has bought the following;

72TB

Symc Netbackup Platform Base 7.0 Xplat 1 Front End Tbyte Std Lic Rewards Band E

72TB

Symc Netbackup Platform Deduplication option add-on 7.0 xplat 1 front end tbyte std lic

2 x Symantec N5000 Appliances 16TB Addressable (backup through-put of upto 4.3TB/Hr)

Question: The primary data approx 46TB is sitting on Clariion CX 480 storage (iSCSI) and 16 TB is at 6 remote locations (TOTAL 60TB). The half of 46TB is VMware (VMs).

The link between the 6 remote sites is 100MB each.

Client is also implementing EV at Primary (hitting the remote File / Exchange servers) which would hopefully reduce the remote backup target sizes upto 50%. The archived data (Vaults) will be at Centerra which we do not need to backup.

Objective: Client wants to utlise these 2 appliances to backup the data which hasnt been archived.

What is the best design in this scenario?

- Do I need PureDisk client license for client side deduplication? and if it is covered under the above license?

- Backup the storage through NDMP

- Backup the VMs through AVVI

- How to achieve tape less environment?

6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6

The licenses listed do cover clients.  They have access to EVERYTHING within NetBackup.  Thats what capacity licenses give you.

To backup via NDMP, you'll need NetBackup setup and NDMP setup.  Though last I checked, NBU with PureDisk CANNOT dedupe NDMP from EMC, only NetApp.  

To use vStorage (AVVI is a BackupExec term), you will need NetBackup setup and configured (on Windows).  Though you can install clients in each guest too and do client-side dedupe.

The 5000 appliance or 5200 is a good way to achieve that.  You could even replicate between appliances, so you have data in TWO places like you would writing to tape and taking off-site.

Dataway
Level 4

Thanks for the response. Couple of questions here;

- 5000 supports replication, any document available to follow the configuration?

- Where actually the dedupe happens (in a non client-side dedupe case); at Media Server or at the appliance?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Look for the Admin Guide for the appliance and for PureDisk 6.6.1, both should voer replication.  

For target side dedupe the media server is going to be doing it, and storing it on the NBU5000 appliance.

Dataway
Level 4

Dedupulication at Media Server doesnt make sense as the appliance is PureDisk and can accept PureDisk clients. Those client should write directly to N5000 instead of using Media server deduplication?

Please clarify my thought.

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

NetBackup client can do deduplication and directly write to NetBackup 5000 appliance, this is called client side deduplication.

Or you can let the client stream data to media server which does the deduplication and writes unique data to NetBackup 5000. You can mix and match (some client doing their own dedupe and some letting media server to do the dedupe).

The various dedupe options are discussed here

Itegral
Level 6

AbdulRasheed - what setting in NetBackup sets client to dedupe at source and write directly to N5000 appliance?

I know about client-side deduplication option under clients but client to write directly to appliance, its new to me.