cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliance 5000 - Network Issues when BONDING

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a site with 2 x NBU5000 appliances, joined together with 1 being the SPA and the other a member node.  NBU 7.1.0.1 and Appliance Code 1.3.0.1 (shortly to be NBU 7.1.0.2 and Appliance 1.4).

These were working OK and I needed to BOND the ethernet interfaces to gain maximum throughput going forward.

I logged into the SPA node (which had xx.xx.xxx.xx assigned to eth1 and no other addresses assigned), and then issued the following bonding command:

bonding enable xx.xx.xxx.xx bond0 balance-alb xx.xx.xxx.xx eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3

Where xx.xx.xxx.xx  is the node_IP address of the member node.  All ethernet interfaces are 1000Mb, Full Duplex switch attached.

This worked and all was well.

I then needed to do the same to the SPA node, which I was attached to over the network.  As I issued the command it did tell me that I should do this from the CONSOLE as I may loose connectivity.  As I appeared to loose connectivity when changing the member node bonding config, but it came back after approx 15 secs I continued on (hindsight is a great thing).  After replying Y to all the questions the command started to process - but it never came back.

After giving it a few minutes I tried to ping the IP ddress of the SPA - no reply.  This continued - so I decided to perform a RESET of the SPA node by pressing the reset button on the rear of the unit (I could still ping the member node at this point).

Before reseting I attached a monitor to the appliance to watch what was happenning, and I saw the system booting up, performing a chkdsk, and then starting the O/S.  However, after the O/S had started (and the ethernet interfaces 0/1/2 - but interestingly NOT eth3) lit up on the back of the device the screen went blank.  As I had no keyboard / mouse attached at the time I don't know if this was a screen-saver blank or not - I could not issue a keystroke).

After this reset I still have no IP connectivity - no ping reply etc.

I have not tried a power off / on - but don't see this should have any effect.  Regarding the eth3 not being lit - I have seen this in the past when initially configuring the devices.  It happenned during the network configuration - but sorted itself out when the device was restarted.

What can I do next.......

I have another SPA to do after this so want to make sure I sort this out and then perform the change on the other SPA in the 'correct' manner.

Any help appreciated.

AJ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I resolved this issue - it was down to a VLAN issue on the first network interface (eth0).  Once corrected I was able to connect no issue.

AJ

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I resolved this issue - it was down to a VLAN issue on the first network interface (eth0).  Once corrected I was able to connect no issue.

AJ

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Symaj,

Thank you for sharing the solution. Please do mark your reply as the solution. That way you also get credit for solving the puzzle!