Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliance 5230 - /disk: Input/output error

alainken3
Level 4

Hi.

Good day! 

Need someone to point me to the right direction please.

We've been using the appliance for almost two months now and it has recently been encountering mount issues with a specific volume.

This volume contains all our backup data and my fear is that if it becomes corrupted then I would lose critical data.

error: df: `/disk': Input/output error

what is the best way to protect this data?

can i do a tape backup for the contents of the filesystem? what is that process called? or is there any alternative?

thanks in advance.

alain

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can't move the data if the volume can't be mounted.

The error you mentioned does not necessary mean data is lost - but does indicate the OS has trouble accessing the volume. Possible hardware error - are any error LED on ?

Page 17 provides information about status LED's.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6498

You should log a support case with Symantec.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

First, open a support case immediately.

Then proceed with your idea to backup the backed up data. If its accessible.....

Shutdown the media server processes and back it up to another media server and tape.

Or if you don't have any other media servers, leave the media server processes up but stop spoold/spad so that nothing is going on with the dedupe disk, then back it up as a client.

If there is something seriously wrong support would want the backup of /disk /advdisk /catalog

alainken3
Level 4

Thanks for your replies.

I can actually mount the /disk every after reboot of the system and then it dismounts after a while.

My appliance is the master/media server and doesn't have any other media servers conencted to it.

All LEDs are normal as well.

already filed a case also.

thanks.

alain

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Phone in and get your case escalated to SEV 1.

I will move this post to the Appliance Forum

alainken3
Level 4

thank you Marianne. 

will update with results from tech later.

Sulivan77
Level 4

Is your mount nfs, or cifs.   Guessing you are using a off appliance disk for your backup storage. 

Brad

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you haven't yet opened your support call, please do.

I would recommend your technician get Storage Foundation on the line to bring the disk group back correctly as well as run the proper file check before remounting.