cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliance 7.6 - Windows Server 2012 DFS cluster backup

Tommen
Level 3

I need some guidance:  I've got a DFS share setup with everyone's shared data on server 1.  Server 1 replicates to a 2012 cluster called "shared" (server 2 & server 3).  The share size is 1TB.

Server 1 is a physical Windows 2003 server, while the cluster are VM's with RDMs running on VMware.  Would I be better running the backup off Server1, or on the cluster?  I need to ensure that I get a solid daily incremental, any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Sulivan77
Level 4

It really doesn't matter a whole lot where you backup but what you backup . 

See 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO65638

In my dfsr clusters I look for the most current server.  Meaning in most cases where will the data be the most up to date.  Then back it up from there.  Read the howto closely as choosing the wrong setting may give you backup successes without getting the files you want.  

Best of luck

Sully

View solution in original post

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would back it up on Server1 with an ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES policy (or at least Shadow Copy Components to capture the DFSR data) and makre sure NBU is up to date to ensure everything works as it should do as there were buges in earlier versions

You could then do server 2 / 3 as VMware data disk backups

If you do have issues with incrementals then use agents on Server2 and 3 but shutdown DFRS before the backup and fire it back up afterwards (bpstart/bpend scripts)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sulivan77
Level 4

It really doesn't matter a whole lot where you backup but what you backup . 

See 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO65638

In my dfsr clusters I look for the most current server.  Meaning in most cases where will the data be the most up to date.  Then back it up from there.  Read the howto closely as choosing the wrong setting may give you backup successes without getting the files you want.  

Best of luck

Sully

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would back it up on Server1 with an ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES policy (or at least Shadow Copy Components to capture the DFSR data) and makre sure NBU is up to date to ensure everything works as it should do as there were buges in earlier versions

You could then do server 2 / 3 as VMware data disk backups

If you do have issues with incrementals then use agents on Server2 and 3 but shutdown DFRS before the backup and fire it back up afterwards (bpstart/bpend scripts)

Hope this helps