cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliance Capacity

Bar_JB
Level 3

We appear to be pushing the limits of our available capacity on our backup appliance(S) and despite the web gui indicating significant free space in the MSDP pool I am getting emails indicating the system is 95% full (see below). Can you advise how I can clear up space from the MSDP partition (deleting old backups etc.) or any other suggestions?

Thank you.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+  

|                            Partition Information                            |  

|+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+|  

||ID | Partition  |  Total   |  Used  |  Status  |  State   |  Acknowledge   ||  

||---+------------+----------+--------+----------+----------+----------------||  

||1  |MSDP        |43.4 TB   |95 % *  |Optimal   |Warning   |No              ||  

||---------------------------------------------------------------------------||  

|| * The value displayed here may be different from the backup space that is ||  

|| available or used on the MSDP partition. The backup space statistics for  ||  

||  the MSDP partition can be obtained by checking the MSDP disk pool sizes  ||  

||                  from NetBackup Administration Console.                   ||  

|+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+|  

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+  

1 REPLY 1

ejporter
Level 4

The MSDP pool reserves some amount of space to assure it has sufficient space to function when the pool becomes "full".   That is probably why you see more space in the web GUI.

As for cleanup, from the netbackup java GUI you can use the "Catalog" tool to filter out backups to exipre.  Then just select, right click and expire those images.  It can take a while on a large list.  And any gained space may take awhile to show up (hours, days) as the queue must be processed, and reclimation will probably need to run.

All that said, deleting data from a dedup pool to free space can be challanging.  Just deleting older images of something still in storage often results in very little freed space.   I have been fighting this battle myself.

You may want to look at adding a disk tray.