cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliance FT Server Poor Performance

Rockdrigo
Level 3
Partner

Any one knows what is the best performance average to backup AIX Lpar trough SAN Client, i been applied buffers and number buffers for ft, but the performance is about a 200 MB/sec.

Netbackup Appliance and AIX lpar are connected by brocade switch with 8gb ports, the lpar has independent hba from the vios.

The appliance version is 2.6.0.3, i try to backup a Oracle Database with size 5.6 TB and take about a 8 hours to backup, the compatibility matrix between OS, Oracle Database is OK. Any Ideas ??

7 REPLIES 7

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

First, I'm not sure that backing up an AIX LPAR even with a dedicated HBA is supported.  

Are they on the same switch?  

Are you seeing any other issues on the appliance?

Rockdrigo
Level 3
Partner
  1. Yes this is supported, in the compatibilty matrix appears as supported
  2. Yes both fibre channel ports are in the same switch.
  3. In a deep logs revisión i found the following message "System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted"

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What log did that come from?  There's no indication that it is related to what you're experiencing.

Are you seeing any waiting for buffers in the job details?

Rockdrigo
Level 3
Partner

The message ""System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted" has been found on /var/adm/messages.

Yes in the job appears as this message "dbclient waited 37140 times for empty buffer, delayed 206657 times"

Any ideas to improve performance ?

Any one knows what is  the better performance speed over San Client ?

Thanks !

GuilhermeBueno
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Someone find one explanation to this case?  I have the same problem with any backups that I start.

Tech Note used to test the Netbackup performance

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75213

After run all tests I checked that appliance is not writing so fast that san client is send the information

ejporter
Level 4

I was having very poor performance with SAN client.  Applying the EEB in the technote below appears to have solved it.   Note,  you have to disable SAN client reboot the appliance, then enable and reboot.  The doc says you dont need the second reboot.. I did.

Let me know if this helped..

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH227091

ABM
Not applicable

Hello Every Body,

I am facing the same problem and also has found the System Firmware Error  and Poor Performance error.

9a | 07/27/2015 | 05:38:48 | System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted
  9b | 07/27/2015 | 05:38:48 | System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted
  9c | 07/27/2015 | 05:38:48 | System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted
  9d | 07/27/2015 | 05:38:48 | System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted
  9e | 07/27/2015 | 05:38:48 | System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted
  9f | 07/27/2015 | 05:38:48 | System Firmware Error #0x06 | Unknown Error | Asserted

This messages appeared into the logs since 03/12/2015.

This is the second chance we try to implement the SAN Client backups from HP-UX San client to Netbackup 5230.

In the first time we applied this technote:

An Emergency Engineering Binary (EEB) is available to resolve Fibre Transport performance issues on NetBackup Appliances.

Article: TECH227091

Updated: July 3, 2015

Article URL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH227091

But nothing changed.

In the second time we faced the same problems and no success.

Any advise in how to solve this issue?

BR.