Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliances MSDP pool Capacity

Priyeranjan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I need to know how do we calculate the required disk space for customers that how much cpacity of MSDP pool they needed to manage their backup environment. 

Actually I am facing difficulties with few customers, where MSDP pool is getting full. Now I wanted to analyze and setup SLPs with different retentions so that MSDP disk pool wont get full. Most of the customers requirement are to keep the first copy with 2 weeks retention on disk and then duplicate it to tape with AIR replication.

Kindly help me with any tool and calculated formula for MSDP pools on Symantec Appliances 5220, 5230.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Priyeranjan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Please contact your local Symantec SE who can help you. Or if you're master specialized in Data protection you can access the appliance configurator on PartnerNet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Please contact your local Symantec SE who can help you. Or if you're master specialized in Data protection you can access the appliance configurator on PartnerNet.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Riaan says you local Symantec partner can help but the hardest thing to realise is that when dealing with MSDP (or any type of de-dupe) it is the de-dupe ration that really matters and not the retention period.

In fact the retention period can be almost (but not quite) irrelevant!!

Imagine you backup 1TB of data and get 10% de-dupe on the first pass .. so you write 800GB of data to the de-dupe pool.

Next week you do the same backup but now get 90% de-dupe .. this backup references everything in the first backup and also adds anoter 100GB

If you now expire the first backup with a view to keeping the retentions short to save space .. then nothing gets removed .. as that first backup is all referenced by the second backup as well.....surprise

So the only real way to get it right is to plan what de-dupe rations you are likely to get, what rations you will get on subsequent backups and then knock off at least 20% so you never get near filling the pools up.

This is where a partner can really help you.

Hope all of that makes sense!

Mux
Level 4

I have seen that the application server backups like Exchange/DB has a poor dedup rate compared to FS server clients.

So it will be better that you duplicate those kind of data (Exchange/DB etc) from the MSDP and after dupliation, expire the data from it. So that you will not face this capacity issue.