cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Copilot

Bachchan
Level 6

I am testing copilot in a test environment and I dont have knowledge about DB. i have a nbu appliance 5230 on which i created a share as per the instruction which i can see in the appliance GUI

the second step is to mount the share. i have installed oracle 12c on server 2008R2 and it says to login to the oracle server as root.............how do I do that? do i have to go to CMD, SQL plus I am not sure as I am not expert in DB.

If someone can help and breakdown the steps for me will appreciate that.........

6 REPLIES 6

Reks
Level 2

In order to use Copilot with Oracle on windows you need to Oracle’s Direct NFS.  Make sure when creating the shares that you change the export options to use the insecure option.  This allow the NFS server to use unreserved port numbers and it’s a requirement when using Direct NFS.  You cannot use windows explorer to view or mount the share.

Here’s a link to Oracle documentation for Direct NFS for 12c:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/NTDBI/postcfg.htm#NTDBI5390

To get this working:

• Shutdown the DB
    1. Launch sqlplus
    2. Run “shutdown immediate”
    3. I’ve found that you may need to go into the windows service list and stop the database service for Oracle to pick up the updated DLL in step 2. The database service name is OracleServie<InstanceName>.
  • Enable Oracle DNFS
    1. From that link look at section 7.5.1.5, which will show you how to enable it. From that section:
      By default, Direct NFS Client is installed in a disabled state with single instance Oracle Database installations. Oracle Database uses an ODM library, dll, to enable Direct NFS Client. Perform the following steps to enable Direct NFS Client:
      1. Set ORACLE_HOMEto Oracle home for which the Direct NFS Client must be enabled.
      2. Change directory to ORACLE_HOME\bin.
      3. Shut down the Oracle database.
      4. Run the batch file, enable_dnfs.bat to copy ORACLE_HOME\bin\oranfsodm12.dll to ORACLE_HOME\rdbms\lib\odm\oranfsodm12.dll.
  • Create the oranfstab file in the %ORACLE_HOME%\dbs directory. Make sure it does not have a .txt or any suffix on it. Below are the lines from an example oradnfs file with explanations of each line.
    1. server: appliance <- appliance host name
    2. path: xx.xx.xx.xx <- IP of the oracle server
    3. export: /shares/example <- export path of the NFS share
    4. mount: c:\backup <- Directory to refer to the NFS share.  Don’t actually create this directory on the file system.
  • Restart the DB
    1. Restart the service if to shut it down.
    2. Launch sqlplus
    3. Run “startup”
  • You can verify if it’s working by trying a back up to the share.
    1. Run “rman target / nocatalog”
    2. Backup datafile 2 format “c:\backup\%U”;
    3. Delete that backup. In rman run:
      1. delete backuppiece “c:\backup\<backup file name>
    4. Oracle also has a oradnfs.exe command that can be used to view/change files on the NFS share.
  • You should now be able to create a copilot policy in Netbackup and run a backup.

thanks a lot for your reply!!!

I will try now what you mentioned............

Sorry for my ignorance on DB but I have the same question again.

1. I have successfully created share on the appliance(Name of Share is  SHARE)

2. now I have to configure the share on oracle server(ORCL). 

It says that I have to logon as root.....

Question 1. do I go in the Sqlplus to do that?

Question 2 I f thats the Case I was In Sqlplus and it asks for username & Password but when I created the DB( FIRSTDB) I dont think there was any option of root as login.....

in the UserName I can login as SYSTEM which I Remember from the first time I created the DBB(FIRSTDB).....

Am I missing anything

Mounting NFS share on the Oracle server is OS Admin task. 

Have a look at the screenshots that follows this text in the Article that I have linked above: 

Then you must configure this share on the Oracle server resource:

The screenshot shows how to create a mount point (as root), how to mount the share and how to change permission and ownership so that oracle user can write to the share.

The fstab file also needs to be modified to automatically mount the share at boot time.

If you are not comfortable with OS Admin tasks, you should have an administrator at your company to assist.

The example is using Linux, not Windows.  You need to be an Administrator on the machine to execute the commands properly.  

There's a lot here you're not understanding that is fundamentally Oracle 'stuff'.  If you're not understanding how to login to sqlplus, that's a whole topic in and of itself as to how to use Oracle.

Can I ask why you're looking at using Copilot?  Is there a Oracle DBA in your environment you could partner with on this test?  The whole point of how Copilot is built is to facilitate a DBA being able to run their familiar RMAN methodologies and keeping an NBU admin in control of the overall data protection process.  It requires a bit of coordination between the two administrators.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances