Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Licensing Guide

Asael
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone,

I have 26 clients windows physicals, 2 VMware and 16 BD SQL inside of this VMware, with 20 TB for backup.....just that dont find a guide full licencing of Netbackup, i need know the difference of Agent vs Capacity, and know how the appliance 5230 is licensed.

The appliance 5230 is licensed for agent or capacity? 

Anybody here can i help me please...?

Also need a list of price of appliance and the agents...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I can see you a partner and shall send you a private message with pricing guide and it will also discuss the difference between traditional(agent as you said) and capacity based license.

Platform Base Licensing Summary
NetBackup Platform Base licensing is a capacity-based model using the amount of source data protected per-terabyte as the sole or primary calculation meter. This model is commonly referred to as capacity licensing or Front-End Terabyte (FETB) licensing. The Platform Base model enables customers to license NetBackup based on how much source data is protected rather than the number of NetBackup clients, agents, servers, and options deployed as with Traditional licensing.

Traditional Licensing Summary
The Traditional (or “server”) licensing model is based on the number of NetBackup clients, agents, servers, and options that NetBackup will be protecting or run on. A customer purchases the same number of licenses as the count of clients, agents, servers, and options. As they deploy additional NetBackup clients or servers or attach additional tape drives or storage to NetBackup, additional licenses for appropriate NetBackup products are required.
If a server is protected by multiple Master Servers, a license is required for each Master Server Domain.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I can see you a partner and shall send you a private message with pricing guide and it will also discuss the difference between traditional(agent as you said) and capacity based license.

Platform Base Licensing Summary
NetBackup Platform Base licensing is a capacity-based model using the amount of source data protected per-terabyte as the sole or primary calculation meter. This model is commonly referred to as capacity licensing or Front-End Terabyte (FETB) licensing. The Platform Base model enables customers to license NetBackup based on how much source data is protected rather than the number of NetBackup clients, agents, servers, and options deployed as with Traditional licensing.

Traditional Licensing Summary
The Traditional (or “server”) licensing model is based on the number of NetBackup clients, agents, servers, and options that NetBackup will be protecting or run on. A customer purchases the same number of licenses as the count of clients, agents, servers, and options. As they deploy additional NetBackup clients or servers or attach additional tape drives or storage to NetBackup, additional licenses for appropriate NetBackup products are required.
If a server is protected by multiple Master Servers, a license is required for each Master Server Domain.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to the above excellent post -

There is no specific 'licensing model' with an Appliance.
Appliance comes with a demo license but should be updated with permanent license key.

Both licensing models work with the Appliance - Capacity or Traditional.

If Traditional, the Appliance needs a NetBackup Enterprise license WLS Tier 2 license plus any other agents and options that is used in the environment (such as dedupe with Data Optimization Option).

Licensing Guides can be downloaded from PartnerNet and discussed with your local Veritas SE.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Asael,

with your "Symantec NetBackup 5230 & 5330 Appliance" SSE+ accreditation, you should be able to answer your question by yourself.

Michal