cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Load Balance

yobole
Level 6

We have Two netbackup media server accross two site each running a dedupe pool .  we have One handing Internal VMware backup and the large one handing WAN backups .

However I would like to keep One weeks work of backups replicated to the corresponding alternate site for DR purposes not sure of best way to configure this or best way to load balance and DR netbackup Media accross to sites

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at SLPs?

Configure SLP for backup to local appliance and duplication to 'large' appliance. Select appropriate retention level for backup and duplication.

Select the SLP as backup destination.
SLP duplications in 7.6 can be scheduled. Previous versions will automatically start duplication/replication shortly after backup.

View solution in original post

Tanmoy1
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes, as Marianne mentioned you can achieve this by SLP based Auto Image Replication feature if you production and DR sites are two different netbackup domain. Alternately if both are in the same netbackup domain you can implement SLP based optimized duplication feature as well.

Your SLP steps will be as follows with retention as needed.

Prod Site SLP steps :

1. Backup on Disk (dedupe disk pool) --> 2. Replicate to DR Storage Server  3 Duplicate from disk to Tape locally (optional step just for longer retention)

DR Site SLP Steps:

1. Import ---> 2. Duplicate from disk to Tape locally at DR site (optional step just for longer retention)

Please Ensure the following:

1. Both the SLP names at Source and DR should match 

2. How much you are backing up everyday you should be capable of replicating overnight, else the replication backlogs will fill up  the disks. Keep the backlogs under regular observation (nbstlutil report).
3. You need to have adequate bandwidth for replication 
4. Tune-up SLP Lifecycle parameters as required for best performance.

5 Set disk pool and disk storage unit number concurrent I/O jobs as optimum for best performance.

6. Better to use NBU 7.6.0.4, I guess it has SLP window replication hung issue fixed

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at SLPs?

Configure SLP for backup to local appliance and duplication to 'large' appliance. Select appropriate retention level for backup and duplication.

Select the SLP as backup destination.
SLP duplications in 7.6 can be scheduled. Previous versions will automatically start duplication/replication shortly after backup.

Tanmoy1
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes, as Marianne mentioned you can achieve this by SLP based Auto Image Replication feature if you production and DR sites are two different netbackup domain. Alternately if both are in the same netbackup domain you can implement SLP based optimized duplication feature as well.

Your SLP steps will be as follows with retention as needed.

Prod Site SLP steps :

1. Backup on Disk (dedupe disk pool) --> 2. Replicate to DR Storage Server  3 Duplicate from disk to Tape locally (optional step just for longer retention)

DR Site SLP Steps:

1. Import ---> 2. Duplicate from disk to Tape locally at DR site (optional step just for longer retention)

Please Ensure the following:

1. Both the SLP names at Source and DR should match 

2. How much you are backing up everyday you should be capable of replicating overnight, else the replication backlogs will fill up  the disks. Keep the backlogs under regular observation (nbstlutil report).
3. You need to have adequate bandwidth for replication 
4. Tune-up SLP Lifecycle parameters as required for best performance.

5 Set disk pool and disk storage unit number concurrent I/O jobs as optimum for best performance.

6. Better to use NBU 7.6.0.4, I guess it has SLP window replication hung issue fixed